Arcam Alpha 7 Amplifiers

4.31/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $550.00

40 watts

Submitted by Dolphin Overton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have listened to just about everything at this point.(still not a self proclaimed "audiophile") I really like this amp... for the price. It needs good cables to truly get the best performance out of it. It also needs to be left on. Sounds very very shrill when it is cold. I am using it with a cambridge audio 350SE CD player and B&W 602 S2's. Cables are Monster Cable Z2 biwire and Audoquest topaz interconnect. I am a firm believer that certain components go well together and my set-up seems to be working very well. The Amp handles all types of music very well.

Oh yeah... I'm only 20 years old THis is the best I can do right now.

Purchased At:   Audio Advice Raliegh

Submitted by Erik a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 7r, I picked up this amp a couple months ago for $500, which I thought was a good deal. I have read various reviews by British Hi Fi magazines which claim this amp is out dated and "decent". I would whole-heartedly disagree. I tested this against Arcam's critically aclaimed flagship the A85, and the difference was not a $1000 one. This amp is crystal clear and when paired with effecient speakers, more than adaquetly powered. I think you would have to spend a great deal to get anything significantly better and I'm sure this amp can be gotten for a lot less second hand.

Submitted by RubberDuck a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
OK, first off Richer Sounds 'palmed' me off with the Cambridge Audio A5 (albeit in silver). Hooking this up to my Marantz CD6000 OSE LE, the sound was rather dissapointing to say the least.

Now I'm no audiophile, but i would describe it as muffled with a very limited top end. After a lot of hassle (!)

I eventually got hold of the Alpha 7R for £150. The difference was instantly noticable. I listen to a wide range of Music (from Metallica and John Spencer Blues Explosion through to Dire Straights and The Corrs). There are pieces on the Money for Nothing album that I had never even heard before!

Coupled with my Kef Coda 8's, I am now totally content with the sound that can be achieved by my setup!

Buy one now!

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds

Submitted by owen Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was dreaming about a hi fi qulity system for ages.
my problam is that I am listening to a wide range of music, which my old set failed to obtain. I was looking for a amp that will match my record collection. and finally i found the ALPHA 7R, I allmost took the NAD C 320 which is pathetic next to the ARCAM amp. anyway I combined the ALPHA 7R with HEYBROOK HB2 speakers, and it sounds GREAT, clear natural sound, what more can i ask for? (a better cd player prahaps).
this is the best system i could aford and i recomend it for
all.

Submitted by dinojr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
well first I was knocked on my butt when I heard the
power this 45 watt put out.I heard it on a pair of boston's
and compared it to marantz and nad c370.the power was just
as good but the music sounded just better.the female voice
where clear but not harch.It cost me 100.00 less than the
Nad. I'm playing this amp on a pair of boston's vr975
powered sub speakers and it's all the power I need.
Even if I liked to crank it up sometimes.My only pev is
they should have put a small light in the volume knob,
because in my wall unit I can not see how loud the volume
is.My next step is to upgrade my cd from a Yamaha to a
ARCAM 7 cd.