Aragon Palladium II Amplifiers

Balanced dual differential operation is achieved by the use of two discrete amplifiers in the single chassis forming the monoblock. This allows the positive and negative balanced input signals to be amplified seperately. By this method of amplification the speaker is isolated from the amplifier's input ground. This assures that the demands for power made by the loudspeaker will have no effect on the rest of the audio chain. The implementation of Class A outputs eliminates any possiblity of crossover notch distortion. The high bias required for Class A operation provides for the bipolar output transistors to operate without switching within the monoblock Palladium's 125 watt Class A power rating. Power is supplied to the circuits by a specially wound 2000VA transformer. This massive transformer allows the Palladium to deliver tremendous amounts of both current and voltage to the loudspeaker. As with all Class A power amplifiers, the Palladium operates in A/B mode into 4 and 2 ohm loads. At 4 ohms the amplifier will generate over 600 watts continuous power, and at 2 ohms it will supply up to a Kilowatt of power. The Palladium monoblock amplifiers are hand crafted in mirror imaged pairs. Each amplifier is assembled, tested and matched to another amplifier. This insures that every Palladium monoblock is identical to its mate.

Submitted by MLH a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
These amplifiers are simply fantastic. Aragon is known for their extended and tight bass but I have been shocked at the natural timbres and detail that I hear with these units. It's as if my music collection has been rediscovered. The power availble is seemingly limitless which is critical to me as my Thiel 3.6's are a very difficult load to drive (down to 2.3Ohms) and I listen to all types of music, often at unhealthy levels. Soundstaging for orchestral pieces as well as movie soundtracks are deep and wide. My previous amp, a Coda 11 was very sweet sounding in its own right but underpowered for my application. The Palladiums have taken all of those qualities to the next level. Furthermore, It seems as though the volume levels required with these amps are lessened due to what I believe the British refer to as rhythm and slam. At the same time, delicate passages are conveyed as such. Ultimately I hope to elicit even more transparency and layering as my front end is somewhat dated. Otherwise now it's the music and I don't even think about the gear.

Normally one should probably wait and draft a review after more listening and break-in time as I have owned these amps for just over 1 month. The units were demo units in perfect condition. If you have been considering the purchase of these, do it now because THESE AMPS AS WELL AS THE 8008MKII and 28K MKII ARE BEING DISCONTINUED. Aragon is sadly getting out of dedicated 2-channel audio and concentrating on theater.

If you can find these still avilable new or on the used market, don't pass on them.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Purchased At:   Accent Sound.

Submitted by Orlando Castaneda from El Salvador a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
I has to say first that I am a International distributor of all Klipsch products in El Salvador Central America but at the same time audioPhile or really good music listening , lover not the cane of audioPhile that brags about technical details, I have two of this new monsters connected to two front Klipsch Horns the new ones and the preamp out to a carver power 375x2 amp and this one to a two Heresy's for center and a subwoofer RSW-15 and let me tell you that the sound the emits is really close to perfect as you know for an audiophile perfect is hard to obtain but I am more than satisfied and I can recommend this amps to be very good all-around even if somebody can say that this is because I am part of Klipsch family but that has noting to do with it, I know many reviewers say that this amps for being class "A" they tent to get hot and this is true, but I fixed this problem, with a $4.00 cooling fan and with it they stay cool even playing music many hours I have my music in the Kasaa program with a HP 80 Gs with more than 6000 songs in different play lists of about two hundred or more songs, so this way I don’t has to be changing discs and have music of my taste.
If somebody is interested in knowing more about this set up can get in touch with me at www.fibrascastaneda.com
To all I wish you, to enjoy music as much as I do.

Purchased At:   Klipsch co

Submitted by sriedesel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
An absolute audio bargain. These amplifiers will drive ANY load presented. I find it amazing that this is a fairly obscure and seldom reviewed component. Wake up reviewers (TAS, Stereophile, etc.)and discover what 400 watts of clean, quiet power can do for your speakers at a relative bargain price (you will hear nuances in your music never perceived). I will stack these up against any amplifier under $4000. Audition them for your self and see.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by s_d_gilchrist a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a single monoblock to run a subwoofer channel in a high-end theater setup. The problem I have is a sub that is very hard to drive. It's the isobaric Alon that presents a nominal 2-ohm load to the amplifier, and literally sucks the juice out of it.

I was running it with a (very respectable) RBH subwoofer amplifier that really is happier with 4 ohms. It didn't run hot, it just clipped early on high-energy bass content. The speaker is capable of so much more.

So when I saw a single Palladium SE on sale for $800, I jumped at the chance. Acarian systems of New York, manufacturer of Alon speakers, will give you personal attention in the setup phase when you're matching their designer's top sub with such a serious piece of amplification hardware.

He told me it was liable to run a bit warm since I was showing it such a low-impedance load. Also, at 2 ohms the Palladium is capable of power bursts that might overload even the mighty Alon, so I was to be careful with the subwoofer gain setting.

Much has been written about the endless power and speed of this amplifier. When you're using it to drive quite possibly the world's best subwoofer, you have a killer combination. My room is not big enough to even hear some of the notes this thing can put out at prodigious volume levels (you need an auditorium to feel the longest of the subsonic waves, and this thing goes down to an honest 16 Hz before dropping off). You probably didn't even feel T-Rex's full frequency range even at your local multiplex. And U-571 has bass energy in the subsonic region that must be felt to believed.

But the delicacy and speed this combo uses to give you everything from tympani overtones, concert bass drums, the meat of a plucked string bass, or the heft of the bottom octaves of a Steinway is a reminder that you ain't listening to no Velodyne or M & K, or even a REL. You're in the big leagues now.

Purchased At:   liquidator

Submitted by JD3 Dooley a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Upgrading from an Aragon 8008BB dual mono amp to run Martin Logan SL3 speakers, I bought almost the last 2 of these fine mono blocks before the new model comes out. Right away I notice more detail in the background instruments & tighter bass while giving the same tube like smoothness as the Aragon 8008BB. Very simple design that comes in either Balance or RCA, mine being the Balance that runs into an Audio Research LS16 pre-amp to Sony XA7ES CD transport, & Aragon 47K phono pre-amp to Rega Planar 3 turntable. I read a professional review of these amps where the guy writes to leave alot of room for the heat because they were hot to his touch, but I have been burning the amps in for 3 days & only feel a little heat coming from the vents. Either that guy was running some werid speakers or very load that required a lot of juice, or I am doing something wrong because I thought about placing these amps under a 11 inch stand, now I am thinking 9 inches should do it. Get to your local Mondial dealer right away to get 40 percent off of last years model before the new model comes out at $11000 a pair.

Purchased At:   YAWA