Antique Sound Lab MG SI15 Amplifiers

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

- Power request 135W MAXIMUM 120VAC.
- Input sensitive 500mV.
- Fuse 3A SLOW-BLOW.
- Chassis Finished Iron with powder paint.

Submitted by 2x6spds a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
My first tube amplifer. This ASL is an integrated amplifier which puts out 5 of the sweetest watts in triode mode you'll ever hear. You can also select 15 watts per channel in pentode mode, but I think it sounds much better in triode. This amp is rock solid and dead quiet. I've used it to drive BC Acoustique Tibres, Axiom M50Tis, Axiom M3Tis, and Michaura M55s (comparable to the Axiom M22). The ASL needs an efficient speaker and of this group was best driving the BC Acoustiques and the M55s. The sound is unbelievably sweet, detailed and accurate. It has a pre out for your sub, is extremely well built. Mine is a new one with a meter for biasing the speakers which is easy to do.

I replaced the stock 12AX7 tubes with a pair of GE tubes from the early 60s. This made a big difference and opened up the highs even better. I then replaced the KT88s with a pair of Svetlanas and this made the mids even sweeter (no bloat, just bloom).

I source the ASL with an Ah! Njoeb Tjoeb tube output CD player, a perfect match. The notes hang in the air. The sound stage is enormous, and appears to extend 5' outside the actual location of the speakers. The sound stage is also high. Imaging is excellent - heads and shoulders above my Onkyo TXDS 797.

If you want to try a tube amp, this integrated beauty (no preamp needed) is a low cost unit which will get you into the game. It is sweeeeet!

Purchased At:   Jeff's Sound Values

Submitted by Randy Nicolosi a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
Before I start, note that this amp was modified by Virtual Mode. The mods were not expensive, but made a HUGE difference in sound! Possibly the biggest difference is due to the replacement of the captive power cord with an IEC connector and the use of a really good power cord. Regardless, you are not hearing the potential of this amp unless you at least add a good power cord. That said...

This is a great amp! First, it is completely quiet and reliable. This is not necessarily the norm in tube amps; this one has been used heavily for a year and has not as much as hiccupped over all that time. I've driven it hard and it never complained. I love that aspect about it!

But more importantly, the sound! And here we must discuss the mods. The stock unit sounds good, but tubey..it images nicely, but doesn't have tremendous drive,or resolution. However, add the mods (esp. the cord) and we're in a whole new ball game..no kidding. The amp now sounds like a great solid sate amp...in the most positive way! It's clear, sweet, dynamic, and images great. I can't even describe the difference the Virtual Mode mods made. I've sold my MUCH more expensive solid state amp in favor of this little tube amp.

If you buy this amp (and you should if you are in the market for a musical, affordable amp) you MUST at least replace the power cord with a good audio cord. Otherwise you will never hear what this amp is capable of. Just keep in mind it is of limited power (4W in triode, 15 in Pentode- I prefer the Pentode mode) and choose speakers carefully. It works great with my "The Horn" speakers, and also with the Axiom speakers.

Consider this amp a gift...it's hard to beat and cheap to boot! And it's been so utterly reliable! No pops, clicks, thuds, or anything. I expect this amp to last decades! Very highly recommended!!!

Purchased At:   manufacturer

Submitted by Joe A. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
To start I would like to say that this is a very fun amp. It has a better than average midrange, great bass (for 5 watt SE) and is ultra quiet. ****Side note: This amp can be run in Pentode 15 watts). As far as transparency, that is the units weak point. Due to the fact that it is not hte most transparent amp in the world it doesnt have a very open feel to it. However, FOR $675 you cannot find a better amp anywhere close to it. It also betters a heavily modified Jolida 502 B that I had. Not in all respects but in most. Thats it! Thats my review, like it or not. I refuse to throw around anymore audiophile terminology as everyones perception of these terms vary GREATLY! Its sad to say but most, AND I DO MEAN MOST, of the people posting reviews on this sight wouldnt know good sounstaging, imaging, "AIR", or bloom anyway. I find it amazing at how people throw these terms around. STOP IT! GET TO THE POINT. Is it open, airy and extended? Good, thats all I needed to know. Anyone with further interest can e mail me. Go back to bed. Audiophiles. Come on. Do you like music or not? You people are more caught up on lenghty equipment reviews than music.

Submitted by Alan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
As a full-time student and budding audiophile, when I first saw this thing I thought that it was just the ticket. Single-ended tubes for $699 list? For the most part, it has been just the ticket, too.

It isn't the most powerful amp, I found it to work best with 90db-and-up speakers, although it did a couple of months work with Audio Physic Tempo speakers and didn't embarass itself ('till asked to play crazy loud, at least).

It isn't the last word in refinement, although better tubes made a world of difference. If your dealer doesn't offer better tubes as standard, figure the cost of decent valves into your purchase. Trust me.

What it IS is a lot of fun. Of course you're not going to get a Cary or CJ for this amount of money, but if you dig tubes you can have a whole bunch of fun with one of these for not a ton of cash. Warmly recommended.

60.0 WA BLACK: