Antique Sound Lab AQ1002 AQ1002AL (Aluminum Chassis) Stereo Push Pull Power amplifier Amplifiers

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

- Detachable Power cord.
- Heavy duty gold plate 5 ways speaker post Output Terminal.
- Shinning steel Chassis Finish.
- Front Panel Finish (Aluminum /Gold /Silver or Black Anodizing).

Submitted by Sean Herninko a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2014

Bottom Line:
***PLEASE HELP***
I pulled this amp from my closet and DO NOT have the instruction manual on how to BIAS the tubes.
Currently it has the Svetlana 6550C, but I have Sovtek's and others to tube roll.
Please if you or anyone you know has this amp, can you send me or scan/copy the TUBE BIAS page so I can get mine set properly and do a full review here.

Thanks!

Submitted by Frank Berry a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased this AQ-1002 amplifier in kit form and assembled it on my kitchen table.
I ordered the amplifier with Svetlana 6550C output tubes. The tubes were not to my liking. I had a difficult time biasing the tubes. One tube required substantially more negative bias voltage than the others. That tube failed within a few months (and took out the screen and cathode resistors in the process). I replaced the tube with another Svetlana 6550.
Within six months, another 6550 failed.
I purchased four Sovtek KT88 tubes to replace the 6550C's. After nearly four years, the Sovtek KT88 tubes are alive and well.
I have not replaced the original Sylvania JAN 5814A (12AU7) tubes.
I tried a set of Telefunken 12AU7's and did not hear any difference.

I have connected a number of tube and solid state amplifiers into my system and compared them with the AQ-1002.
The tubed McIntosh MC275 came the closest in sound quality.
The Harmon Kardon Citation 12 was the best sounding solid state amplifier.
An old (1961) HH Scott model 208 amplifier came very close ... only lacking slightly in very low bass.

I have read that the AQ-1001, the integrated sister to the AQ-1002 performs equally well.

Purchased At:   From Manufacturer

Submitted by Dan Hirschler a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I'm surprised that there aren't any reviews of this piece. I purchased mine used along with a Counterpoint SA-1000 from a fellow audiophile who was cleaning out his closet, so to speak.

I have owned several 'high-end' systems but have had to sell them for competing financial priorities. (Can't wait until this shakey economy improves.)

It had been about 9 months since I sold my last system when I decided to put together a very modest 2-channel system. I usually buy speakers first and then purchase an amplifier that suits them. This time, I decided to buy the amplification first and then pick a pair of speakers that are suitable.

To get to the point, this is a fantastic amp. Mine came with Svetlana 6550s and JanPhilips input tubes (12AT7s) but I know that these came from the factory with cheap Chinese tubes. With the upgraded tubes, this is a world-beater. It's smooth enough without being too euphonic and detailed enough without being fatiguing. Coupled with the Counterpoint SA-1000 preamp and a pair of Soliloquy 5.0s, this is a wonderful little system. In many ways, this is the most enjoyable system that I've owned. Perhaps it's because there's NO GUILT for having paid thousands of dollars for a stereo. I paid $1,250 for my whole system (including a Sony CA-7ES cdp).

If you can find one of these for under $600, you can't go wrong. 50 watts per channel is more than adequate for most speakers in most average-sized listening rooms. Plus, you can roll different tubes (KT-88s, KT-90s) and have some fun.

Very highly recommended.