Anthem Statement P5 Amplifiers

• 14 bipolar output devices per channel
  • Toroidal transformers

Submitted by Piyachart a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2017

Bottom Line:
I owned many of Anthem audio devices including this P5. Have to admit that the sound is great and at my high satisfaction. Only one big problem is it broke after 1.4 years from purchasing date. Lot of smoke came out with electric splash but the P5 is still on. No power cut (very weird for this high end equipment). I contacted Anthem many times but just got one response from my first message that there will be someone contacting me for this problem. Have been following up for weeks but no more response. The distributor got my machine and said it's not under warrantee (only 1 year warrantee) and will be expenses. I'm very upset and will keep chasing Anthem for responsibility.

Submitted by tjyyzacc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2007

Bottom Line:
I am very pleased with this amplifier. After having purchased an Anthem D2 processor (which I recommend as perhaps the single best high end value out there), I was very interested in getting a P5 as a mate. However, while looking for a good deal on a P5 I came across an amazing deal on a Theta Dreadnught II and grabbed it. I used the Theta for a couple of months and I can honestly say there was an immediate noticeable difference between it and my previous amp, the Adcom GFA-7700. there is no doubt in my mind that the Theta had far superior clarity in all respects, both during music and movie playback. Even my girlfriend (who was furious at all of these purchases) noticed an immediate difference. In any case, I sold the Dreadnaught II at a small profit once I found a P5 I wanted and have been using it now for a couple of months. I was nervous when I gave up the Theta, but I should not have been. I am pleased to report that the very things that appealed to me in the Theta are also present in the Anthem. The clarity from voices in movies is oustanding and the bass impact is overwhelming. One thing that was definintely an improvement over the Theta was the noise floor. There is dead silence in the room when there is nothing playing and during particularly quiet passages of music or film, there is no audible hissing at all, which is something I can't say about the Theta.

One note of caution though when buying an amp with the power of this one. The owner of the store where I bought my D2 has a P5 as well and he had been using Paradigm S8 main speakers as well as a Paradigm Seismic 12 sub. I consider this to be a reasonably serious sub, but this guy said that the bass impact and volume potential coming from his mains effectively made his sub disappear and he ended up getting a Signature Servo in order to keep up with the rest of his system. Apparently this had never been a problem with his previous MCA 50.

Purchased At:   Audiogon (used)