Anthem MCA 20 Amplifiers

• Input Impedance: 10 k
  • 800 VA maximum power output

Submitted by EdipisReks a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2007

Bottom Line:
This amplifier performs well beyond its price point. I purchased this amp, originally, as a temporary power amp for my Thiel CS 2.4s, until I had saved up sufficient money to buy something else. I had auditioned the Thiels with McIntosh 501 monoblocks (with my Audio Aero Capitole Mk II as source) and the 402 power amplifier, and I really thought I would end up with a 402, once I had the money.

This $1200 amp (I purchased it used at half retail) has changed my mind completely, as it drives the fairly inefficient Thiels with purity and strength, and allows the incredible sound of my Audio Aero Capitole Mk II to come through with minimal change. The Anthem MCA 20 not quite as good as the McIntosh in terms of bass detail and texture, and the sound stage is not quite as wide, but it is more neutral (the McIntosh units definitely add their own sound signature) and seems to present a taller, deeper sound stage than the McIntosh units. Regardless, the difference between the two in the sound stage and bass region is quite minor (5-10% different), especially considering the many thousands of dollars in price difference!

Purchased At:   Audiogon.com