Anthem AMP-2 Amplifiers

4.79/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $1699.00

SS amp with tube input stage

Submitted by tkhoo18 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
A hybrid design that has the best of both tube and solid-state designs : airly and warm sound couple with speed and controlled timing.

Submitted by hung le a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have the amp for about 2 months,over all I am very impressed how good it ferformed in my system,the power is plenty,the body of music is bigger and soundstage is deeper than the Adcom 5803,it even run cooler than the Adcom I used before.It open up my JMlab speakers to a higher level of music.I heard somebody swapping the Tungsram 6922 make it even sound better but I don't known how difficult it is to do it,I just leave it stock.In the price range under$1000 for a used one I think this is the best for your money.

Purchased At:   jeffsoundvalues

Submitted by lunghui a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
It's time for me to contribute this online community...
What I have is this pre2L and amp2 combo. I used to have a Audiolab 8000A,but I hate its high frequences. Now,the highs is improved very much and much more dynamics. My Celestion A2 sounds more powerful now. The bass is simply...heart-beating and the highs is more pleasant. That's not enough. I demand more pleasant highs!! Amp2 is not smooth enough. I don't know how to describe that kind of sound. This combo sounds between tube and solid-state. Not warm as tubed one,but much more resolution than tubes. When I use headphone with preamp2L,it sounds so real as if you were in the concert... Especially in the midnights,if you turn off the lights and listen to the music in the complete darkness,the music appears not in your ears,but in your brain. I am fond of pre 2L...,but not the amp2...

Purchased At:   used at Audiogon

Submitted by clear a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
This amp is GREAT!!!! I've owned the Pre2L for awhile now and have been wanting to upgrade my amp to something on the same level as the Anthem Pre-Amp. Well it seems like Anthem all the way around is the way to go. This amp is dynamic and does everything right. The bass is musical and mids and vocals are just right and smooth and the highs are perfect. My only problem is now for me to upgrade I have to spend thousands more in the amp and pre-amp department.

Submitted by Gary a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the Special Edition model. Much more musical than the non SE version. After a long break in period, this amp keeps getting better. It has brought me back to many CDs that I had forgotten about.

Has plenty of power to run in theatre mode also. Do yourself a favor and audition this amp if you get a chance.

System: