Anthem AMP-1 Amplifiers

4.36/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $1195.00

Submitted by GLeeTLR a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
This was my first tube equipment, and really what got me to become an enthusiast. I couldn't believe the difference in sound I was getting from this amp, and it made me a believer. I think the guy I bought it from did some upgrades to the tubes, so it's really not "original" anymore. However, the unit is solidly built and looks great! I am going to give it a 5 since I really like it, even though it made me drop a lot of money on other stuff.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp used for $900 canadian.
Right now I'm running it from a marantz 7000 receiver, but will be putting a tube preamp in soon.

The Anthem blows away the amps in the reciever, which it should, and has me listening to music again.
This amp is very clear and smooth compared to the Marantz. Even my girlfriend who cares very little for stereo equipment said that it sounds less 'grainy'. She's even asking me to turn it up during movies now when before she always wanted the solid state turned down.

The imaging during movies is good enough to take the center speaker out and listen to vocals through the tube amp. In this case 2 channels are better than 3. Imaging will improve with a better pre amp.(I know because I auditioned the Amp1 with the Pre 1L and it was very sharp)

Music is fun to listen to throught he amp 1 and I won't use a reciever ever again, it's a waste of time. The Amp1 does excellently with everything except low bass (<~50 hz?) mid bass is well defined, but the low bass looses a bit of definition.

You can do better than the Amp 1 by spending more money...
The Power 1 is double the price and sounds twice as good. The P1 has the defined bass that the Amp 1 lacks and is even faster and more accurate - truly high performance.
You get what you pay for in either case.
The Amp 1 is musically satisfying and a good deal on the used market.

4 value stars - great deal
4 overall stars - very good product

Purchased At:   Loyalty Sound

Submitted by Jong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I think this is a quite good amp, especially for the price.
My amp's tubes are replaced to NOS Tungsol and RCA inputs and Svetlana outputs. This amp produces very clean sound, But I remember Fisher 500c produced more soft and warm sound. But much better than the Fisher in every ther aspects except that. Enough power to control my Apogee Centaurs. B&O beomaster has better sound, but it is double in price and weight(I sold it to raise some money). Doesn't take long time to produce maximum sound quality. Worth to try. If you meet a good deal, don't hesitate to try it.

Using it with
Nakamich OMS-7 cd player
Toshiba DVD
Onkyo p-304 pre
Apogee Centaurs hybrid speakers

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
I listened to these guys at a local hi-fi store against some steep competition. For the price, I think they're absolutely amazing. They easily competed wih the Mac and Krell in terms of overall musical experience. Sure, the Mac sounded better and the Krell had more power to control the bass, but the Krell seemed too bright for me- too hot up high. The Mac was beautiful, with a tad less soundstage than the Anthem, but more refined. It had a smooth, seductive sound that the Anthem lacked. The Atma's destroyed all three amps in every way except for bass response, a problem I believe was due more in part to speaker selection and placement than the amp. For $750 (or even the $1200 retail), this amp is quite nice and I believe it's one of the better amps I've listened to regardless of price. I highly recommend you listen to it.

Purchased At:   Hillcrest Hi-fi

Submitted by Andrew a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
First I would like to say that I am sick and tired of people handing out 5 stars like water. For all you morons who don't understand, five stars means "the best possibly available--nothing better". This website would be a lot more useful to serious audiophiles if people used a realistic grading system.
Anyway, as value goes, I definately give this amp four stars and I give Sonic Frontiers five stars for customer service (when I needed help with a blown reistor they were great help).
Now, as an amp, it is certainly very nice, very neutral and fairly musical. However, it is Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It has no life, no spirit--it's dull!!! I love tube gear, but my Musical Fidelity X-A50 amps that I had before the Amp 1 (which cost less) were waaaaay better in every way.
Hey, some guys might prefer Jennifer Aniston, but I'll take Pamela Anderson, thank you very much! A realistic three stars overall (which means an average piece of hi-fi gear).

CSB 1206 BLK: