AMC CVT-2100as Amplifiers

4.6/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $1350.00

80W x 2

Submitted by steven tom a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2006

Bottom Line:
I loved my AMC 2030A hybrid, that I bought this AMC 2100as hybrid with mediocre Svetlana 6550 tubes. It was a marked improvement over the 2030A in terms of dynamics, bass, liveliness, and ultimately my enjoyment, the richness in sound, detail, frequency balance and extension at frequency extremes. I've tested KT88 from Valve Art, JJ, EH, and they all have their own sound in this unit. My latest favorite is the Ei KT90 version 3 and 4. They completely kick butt and transform this amp, challenging anything I can think of from the SS territory. It's very powerful and I probably never use more than 5 watts in my room driving my Trianges. It's an excellent value, more like a steal. Though I've moved toward 300B SET in my small listening room, and I'll be keeping this baby for a long time.

Purchased At:   user

Submitted by Craig a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
I never believed that tube amps were anything but hype. Then I talked to Brent Hite from Retrodaze ph. 219-257-7821 , after purchasing a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls. For Appx. $1500 Brent hooked me up with the AMC 2100as, the matching 1030 pre-amp, and the cd-6 54b cd player ( tube ) - the total list for all three was appx $2900, and it seemed like a good deal. The improvement over my best amp ( the Outlaw ) was not subtle. The bass went deeper and the overall sound is such that I make time to listen.

My only problem is now I want more of AMC's stuff. By the way - I paid $980 for the Cornwalls ( $230 of that was for shipping ) and have put together a $2500 system which will knock your socks off. If you are looking for a tremendous value - call Brent.

Purchased At:   Retrodaze

Submitted by Greg Davidson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the first tube amp I have owned and I must say I am very impressed with it. The clarity and smoothness of the sound is better than ANYTHING I have heard. I used to be a person who would listen to my music on headphones a lot because I couldn't hear everything over speakers. This has changed since buying this amp! I now can see what a difference it makes! I am considering getting the AMC 1030 preamp because the sound might get that much better. For 675.00 on ebay this has to get 5 stars for value and i give it 5 stars for overall because the sound is phenominal (although this is my first tube amp, soooo....).

Purchased At:   EBAY

Submitted by Joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
Although this has a list price of over $1,300, it is selling for less on Ebay. Even at it's list price, it is fairly priced and is an unbelievable bargain at current discounts. There are few solid state amps at any price that sound as good as this does, and most tube amps that sound this good and have as much power, cost $2k or more.
The AMC has the midrange magic of tubes, but has tighter bass and slightly more extended and airier high's than some tube amps that I have heard or owned. Overall, it is a rich, refined, smooth sounding amp that should be able to drive any speaker of 4 ohm's or higher. It sounds great driving Vandersteen's 2ce's or smaller Monitor Audio 2.5's. Soundstaging is on par with tube mono-block amps that I also own. There are no input tubes and the output tubes are biased at a reasonable level and are fan cooled, so they should last a long time. It turns on and off quietly. Only negative is that although the amp has tube sockets and the tubes should be easy to replace, re-setting the bias seems to be more cumbersome than most other amps that I have owned or auditioned.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Mike Stamper a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
Clean looking, quiet (hum and noise free), clear, neutral sound. Sound significantly improved by the addition of Svetlana KT88s ($180 delivered from Conus audio). If you retube, make sure to reset the bias (it changed significantly with the new tubes). Tested with other new AMC components (CVT1030s preamp, CD8A CD player with tube output)

Purchased At:   EBay