Adcom GFA-7400 Amplifiers

4.5/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

5 channel Amp, 100watts per channel @ 8ohms.

Submitted by polocsg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
Was doing a major upgrade to the system and needed a seperate amp. I have been following Adcom for years and was just waiting for my turn. Always impressed with thier price and specs. Placed the GFA-7400 in the system and was going to by-amp the front speakers (150watts 4ohms). WWWOOOWWW.
No need to by-amp, there was tons of power.
Cant wait to by-amp (need a bigger room). Very impressed with the sound stage and the
highs are very clear with very tight bass.

System:
Martin Logan Aerius

Purchased At:   On E-Bay

Submitted by levir a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have this Adcom GFA-7400 for a while now and really liked its sound. It sounds good playing music and watching digital movies. I use an Adcom 860 pre-amp, Monster Cable M series cables, Adcom 700 Cd and Klipsch speakers. Together, this amp sounded warm, detailed and open. This amp excels in movies and will never run out of breath. Bass is tight.

Purchased At:   Harvey

Submitted by v3pcbl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bought this based on my experience with adcom products in the past. I also have a GFA545 that I've had for 10 years. The 7400 is very smooth, and I would recommend anyone whose looking at amps up to $2000 to audition this - take it home listen to it in your home. I'm running Infinity speakers - I use the 545 to power a second set of Klipsch HeresyIIs. Surprisingly these two speakers sound well together placed properly - as nothing can bring out a strong vocal like the klipsch. Adcom can sound bright without a good preamp, especially with any horn speaker. Any component can be a limiter. If you have a good preamp and cables, this amplifier is the best $800 -$1000 you can spend. I auditioned it in my home vs a B&K, and it sounded better. It won't sound like tubes, but nothing will.. Spend the other $2500-$3000 on a good preamp.

I will likely end up getting klipsh all around
System:
Klipsch HeresyII main
Infinity center, rears

Submitted by Tom Meyer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
My GFA-7400 is in the shop for the second time and I miss it dearly. Both times it was the result of lightning strikes, even tho it's on a surge strip which protected 3 VCR's, an RCA satellite receiver and a Sony 9000ES. Adcom fixed it the first time free under warranty even tho I told them it was a lightning hit. I'll buy a better surge strip and install a protector on my power line. If they tell me it can't be fixed, I'll buy another.

Purchased At:   American TV

Submitted by CEDRIC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had this unit for little over a month and i must say i am definitely satisfied with my choice to purchase this unit. My setup:
HK AVR 65 (preamp/proc)
Adcom GFA 7400 5CH Power Amp
Dennon DCM 370 CD Changer
Pioneer DV-414 DVD Player
Definitive Tech Speakers: BP8B Fronts, ProCenter 100,
BP1X Surrounds, ProSub 100

For the size room that i have The HK alone would probably suffice(75 watts 2ch, 65watts surround modes) ,but i wanted alittle more umph:)the Adcom has giving me that.
Nice clean power , no distortion or clipping. very pleased, would definitely recommend.

Sennheiser: