Adcom GFA-7400 Amplifiers

4.29/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $1000.00

5 channel Amp, 100watts per channel @ 8ohms.

Submitted by Adam Omelianchuk a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought this amp off of ebay hoping to use the pre-amp outputs on my receiver for home theater and stereo listening. It looks nice and is sturdily constructed. However, one of the surround channels was defective and sent direct current to my surround speaker and killed the woofer. I don't know why this happened, and I bet it could be attributed to shipping the (the ebay dealer tested it before shipping and said it worked fine - got a refund).

There is also a startling "pop" I hear every time I turn it on. I've heard conflicting reports about this. The Adcom support worker told me this is bad for my speakers and I should get it repaired right away. When speaking with several authorized repair men, however, they told me I need not worry about this as it is the capacitors "balancing" when powering up and the current sent to the speakers is not unsafe. Newer capacitors aren't as loud, but old ones are. They said there would be time to bring it in and have it serviced, but not at this point. I guess it is common on these amps not to have a speaker protection circuit (that click you hear on others after you turn it on) that allows the amp to properly power up without letting your speakers know about it. It also "dumps" the power when turned off making a nice little thud in each speaker per channel.

I write all this up, because I consulted these reviews when I bought my amp and didn't see anything like these issues reported. So for future ebayers, beware.

With that said, this amp sounds beautiful. I currently use three channels for stereo listening and a neutered home theater set up (no surround sound), and I am surprisingly pleased. I removed the fuse on the bad channel, and it has preformed magnificently. I will be using some speaker selectors (Adcom GSF-3s - also on ebay) to put a switch in between the speakers and the amp to filter out the "pop" at turn on and turn off, but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it after hearing how good it is with my NHT SuperOne and Boston Acoustics CR-400. Since I don't require audio perfection, I can live with adding these additional components. Perhaps some day I will get it repaired.

Submitted by polocsg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
Was doing a major upgrade to the system and needed a seperate amp. I have been following Adcom for years and was just waiting for my turn. Always impressed with thier price and specs. Placed the GFA-7400 in the system and was going to by-amp the front speakers (150watts 4ohms). WWWOOOWWW.
No need to by-amp, there was tons of power.
Cant wait to by-amp (need a bigger room). Very impressed with the sound stage and the
highs are very clear with very tight bass.

System:
Martin Logan Aerius

Purchased At:   On E-Bay

Submitted by levir a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have this Adcom GFA-7400 for a while now and really liked its sound. It sounds good playing music and watching digital movies. I use an Adcom 860 pre-amp, Monster Cable M series cables, Adcom 700 Cd and Klipsch speakers. Together, this amp sounded warm, detailed and open. This amp excels in movies and will never run out of breath. Bass is tight.

Purchased At:   Harvey

Submitted by v3pcbl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bought this based on my experience with adcom products in the past. I also have a GFA545 that I've had for 10 years. The 7400 is very smooth, and I would recommend anyone whose looking at amps up to $2000 to audition this - take it home listen to it in your home. I'm running Infinity speakers - I use the 545 to power a second set of Klipsch HeresyIIs. Surprisingly these two speakers sound well together placed properly - as nothing can bring out a strong vocal like the klipsch. Adcom can sound bright without a good preamp, especially with any horn speaker. Any component can be a limiter. If you have a good preamp and cables, this amplifier is the best $800 -$1000 you can spend. I auditioned it in my home vs a B&K, and it sounded better. It won't sound like tubes, but nothing will.. Spend the other $2500-$3000 on a good preamp.

I will likely end up getting klipsh all around
System:
Klipsch HeresyII main
Infinity center, rears

Submitted by Tom Meyer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
My GFA-7400 is in the shop for the second time and I miss it dearly. Both times it was the result of lightning strikes, even tho it's on a surge strip which protected 3 VCR's, an RCA satellite receiver and a Sony 9000ES. Adcom fixed it the first time free under warranty even tho I told them it was a lightning hit. I'll buy a better surge strip and install a protector on my power line. If they tell me it can't be fixed, I'll buy another.

Purchased At:   American TV