Adcom GFA-5802

Submitted by CarlosBorges a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
listen I"m not going to to bore you with irrelevant claims.The best amplifier I ever heard. "the end"

Submitted by tomh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2010

Bottom Line:
These are great amplifiiers that produce a very deep sound stage with good detail and no transistor haze. These amps use HexFets for outputs. Nelson Pass designed this amp with only three high gain stages instead of the normal 5 stages of gain in most amps. This produces a signal path with less " handling ". The result of the design is great sound that is not fatiguing. The amp produces a lot of power and is perfect for electrostatic speakers. The only negative is heat. The amp is biased to run Class A for a good portion of its output. Keep this baby well ventilated.

Submitted by xmikex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is the only high rated amp in my price range that had this much power.I am driving a pair of power hungy SL-3 Martin Logans .It will drive the ML's with great detail,and sounstage.It is a little weak on bass,but it might be just the speakers,as some of the lower end ML's need a sub to sound great.
Ive had this amp for 3 years with no problems what so ever.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by babs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I tried this as a last resort, as everything else failed misrably when it came to driving my Mission 770's.
It was the top-end of our budget, but we tried it anyway. To say we were blown away is an understatement. This thing is fantastic, pumping out a massive 140 wpc into 8ohms. I'm sure it will drive anything, because my Mission's were bouncing along like never before.
The sound is crisp and clean in the high frequencies, with knock-your-socks-off mids and base which is accurate, tight and well-rounded. It's almost a dream come true!
It's not very big or heavy either, which makes this little gem even more astounding. I am well impressed, and still reeling from shear delight and astonishment.

Purchased At:   Holburn HiFi

Submitted by Craig a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchsed this amplifier on the used market, where I purchase most of my electronics, and usually have very good success. I bought this amplifier based on it's reviews, and then matched it up with the Adcom GFP-750 Pre-amp, Adcom GCD-700 CD player, and Adcom GDA-700 DAC. I also have Paradigm Studio Monitor speakers (the model that was replaced by the 100's). The speakers sound amazing, and they love the power that this amp can put out. The amplifier worked great for about 6 months, and then the problems began. First the left channel began to cut out, and then went totally dead. I've had to take it in for repairs several times to solve that problem, and just when I thought everything was great again, one of the two sets of binding posts on the right channel went (they have two sets for each channel for bi-wiring, and I was using both sets to bi-wire). So it looks like I'm back to the repair shop again. This amplifier does sound good when it works, but I think Adcom's reliability has gone down hill quickly. That is what happens when companies try to cut corners to increase profits. I was also not impressed at all with the customer service at Adcom. This is supposed to be their flag ship amplifier, and when I contacted them about the left channel being totally dead on a 2 year old amplifier, all they cared about was that I was not the original buyer, and because of that they would do nothing for me. I could have shipped it to them and for around $400.(US), they would check it out, and repair it. Even if it was only a $20. part, the price would still be $400. Given that I'm in Canada, with duties, taxes and shipping, that would have been a costly option. This will be the last Adcom product I purchase, and when I get it repaired once again, I will be selling the whole set-up and looking for a Bryston. It is well worth the little extra you may have to pay for a Bryston. They have a 20 year transferrable warranty and care about the satisfaction of their customers. Adcom could learn from them. Overall, this is a good sounding amplifier, but with a limited warranty, and poor customer service, why take a chance?

Purchased At:   Used - from original