Acurus A80 Amplifiers

3.6/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $550.00

80 watt stereo amplifier (discontinued)

Submitted by Gad Sade a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
After I found out that even the 2000$ integrated amps group don't make music acording to their price tag, I decieded to go for the equivelant price pre +power combo.
A dealer close to home demonstrated me for a brief while the A80 (here called A1). It was the only affordable genuine power amp arround.
At home where I gave it a serious listening session I came to these conclusions: Amplification is the strongest side of this amp, It is even quite amazing-moving the speakers and musical transients and instruments like the ones in the majore league, giving this low saturated kick to the stomack, an overall quietness and tidyness as well.
But when it coes to sound things are not that sparkling
The best way to describe its sound is to say its got a pyramide stracture: wide heavy stable base, and as you go up it gets narrower and narrower, it seems that life is drawn out from the music and everything gets analytical and soulless, even tube pre amps couldn't inject it with some intimacey, I was about to give up on that one but compareing its overall performance you just can't give in to the more lucid but simple sounding Rotel, Nad, Classe etc.
So it comes down to taste and compromise(if you can).
By the way the A100 sound close.

for sound 3 3/4 *

Purchased At:   Epsilon

Submitted by Gad Sade a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2002

But when it coes to sound things are not that sparkling
So it comes down to taste and compromise(if you can).
By the way the A100 sound close.

for sound 3 3/4 *

Purchased At:   Epsilon

Submitted by Derek Lou a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a low priced but good quality amp to bi-amp my NHT 2.5i's with my HK AVR75.
The A80 provides a solid, neutral boost, and its only shortcoming is that it is only 80 watts and the light on the power switch flickers. There is a strong low end and it doesn't overemphasize the highs. Otherwise, the build quality is great, and after lots of stress I can't even get the unit hot. For the price, I'm very happy. BTW, I ended up switching to bridging 2 NAD 2100's in favor of the higher wattage. But, the A80 will do nicely in my second system.

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 1999

Bottom Line:
Regarding the previous reviewer: good components will tend to fade out when switched off. This is a sign of capacitance, the reserve power that the amp is capable of storing for musical transitions that require more power to pump out. This is a GOOD thing, and a sign that the product can maintait it's sonic charecteristics throughout music with demanding passages.

When I bought the amp, I compared it to a B&K at the same price point. The B&K sounded sluggish and rolled off. I like the light, crisp, punchy sound this amp has. Some have said it's muddy in the low end-it may be, but I can't tell.

I've played this amp pleanty loud; it gets warm, but it's a challenge to get it there. It seems well equiped to handle all sorts of music/abuse...including turntable mixing for extended periods of time.

Apparently, this is the same amp as the newer A100, which was simply biased up a bit to output 20 extra watts.

This is a good amp. I thought I nearly fried it when the right channel speaker cables got crossed somehow. That was over a year ago. The amp has been dead-on reliable dispite my faux pas.

Acurus rules. Adcom, NAD, B&K...et. al. just don't stack up dollar-for-dollar.

Submitted by Justin Busch a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 27, 1999

Bottom Line:
System: H/K 8300 CD player, Theta Cobalt DAC, Audio Alchemy DLC, Acurus A80, NHT SuperOnes, Definitive Tech. PF15TL, all cables Kimber PBJ or 4VS.
The A80 is discontinued, so this review will only be of interest to those considering buying one used. Basically, it's the previous generation entry-level Acurus amplifier, using the same circuit topology as all other Acurus amps. I'm not a believer in the idea that specs don't correlate with sounds, so I think it's a perfectly neutral amp; it certainly specs very well. For a budget system like mine, it delivers more than adequate power, especially since my sub has an active crossover to relieve it of driving the bass.

The only real complaint I have is that Acurus' construction quality appears to leave some things to be desired. The power switch light blew after about a year and a half of use, and it will continue to play after it's been switched off, albeit becoming increasingly scratchy until it fades out. This suggests that the power supply is not properly disengaged from the output section when switched off. However, neither of these factors appears to adversely affect the sound, the one being cosmetic and the other being a minor design flaw. It's provided me with 2 1/2 years of otherwise trouble-free operation; if you can pick one up for $400 or less, it's a remarkable bargain. I'd give it 5 stars, but the flaws I've described compel me to deduct one.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Sansui A80 or Marantz 2245?

I'm buying my first vintage receiver/amp and I'm currently between these two due to local availability and price (I'm not from the USA). I'm really unsure regarding which one to pick, considering the Marantz is twice the price of the sansui. My main question is, is it worth it? Will there be a noti ... Read More »

60.0 WA BLACK: