Accuphase P-266
Description: <ul> <li>Normal operation: 180 watts</li> <li>Output load impedance: 4 ohms</li> <li>Intermodulation distortion: 0.003%</li> <li>Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz</li> </ul>

Submitted by Raymond75 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
Great power amp!

I use it with Usher BE-718 with great results. First I paired it with Accuphase c-222 pre amp and the sound in it's image and clearness reminded me of my Magneplanars, but with much more cleanness and much more character. (I find Maggies quasi ribbon tweeters just bad. And yes I've tried different equipment and have done re-caping etc..They just don't work for me.) Ok.. back to the subject.

So the sound was good, very accuratel and didn't seem to come from the speakers. Especially bass was absolutely in control, but at the same time there was something that reminded me of a hospital. So sterile, clean and definitelly not on the warm side.

I swap to my 70's Luxman pre/power combo (plays a bit like a tube amp) and the sound was much warmer and fuller. The treble sparkled more and was more beautifull. Bass wasn't quite as controlled though. But something was wrong again.. the upper mid-range had some harsnes on some violin and saxophone records and with some female vocals and Michael Jackson :)

It took a while before I figured it out. I paired the Luxman preamp with the Accuphase P-266 and fell in love.
There's warmenss with great controll. The upper mid-range is detailed but silky smooth. Every "pin drop" in music is audible but absolutely without harshness and listening fatique.

Those mosfets must give that final touch. The p-266 is better power amp than the Luxman that I used to love at least in this system.

The Accuphase P-266 is a great poweramp. It has great control and it plays beautifully. You just need to find the preamp that best supports your system.

Submitted by Winger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2007

Bottom Line:
This amp is just wonderfull!
Very Smooth, Solid in the Bass but not overblown, and very detailed.
Will power anything that I throw at it.
In Class A mode it is very, very smooth and Velvety......
But with Great Slam and Control.
It rates very highly with my Loved Perreaux Power amps :
3150 (300w Mosfet into 8Ohms) and
2150B (200w Mosfet into 8Ohms)
If you have the chance to listen to one of these you will be impressed...

Purchased At:   Classifieds