Yamaha RX-V990
Description: FRONT, 20Hz, 0.015% THD, 8 ohms = 100W CENTER, 1kHz, 0.015% THD 8 ohms = 100W REAR, 1 kHz, 0.08% THD 8 ohms = 25W

Submitted by Niles300z a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2013

Bottom Line:
Yes yamaha did something right with this one. Now, yamaha and most others use lightweight plastic crap, rate power ratings @1khz instead of full bandwidth and do not sound as good with music. I mated this with some klipsch fortes and an old magnavox cdb-650 and was really surprised it sounds as good as most of the nad stuff i have been using and as good as many separates too. Love the orange display, love the power, love how it puts music first.

Very dynamic, clean, involving, musical sound signature in my opinion. Most likely due to high quality parts and a great design layout
Not up to current home theater abilities but great for music.

Submitted by Danny Baum a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
After 5 years, the sound is awesome. While I wish it had digital sound output like DTS or 5.1, I find that the 70MM setting does a great job and I don't feel like I'm lacking when watching a DVD movie like The Matrix.

At this point, I'll upgrade to a digital receiver only if I decide to move this system to another room in my house and I upgrade the entire home theater system. As it stands now, I still get the compliments on the great sound, just like I did 5 years ago. I don't know if I would spend $700 on a receiver again though. It seems like technology has advanced to the point where the $6,000 theatre I put together in 1996 can now cost about $3500-$4000 with better quality.

Purchased At:   Audio Centre

Submitted by Danny Baum a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2001

Purchased At:   Audio Centre

Submitted by Luigi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
Excellent built quality (look at the aluminum faceplate.). Attention to details (Amber lighted display, easy on the eyes, compared to those cheesy bright blue displays of some other brands). Well located heat dissipators and well organized internally with a lot of space for cooling. Sound very dinamic with movies and also very powerful (I cannot go past 1/3 of the volume without fearing speaker damage). Cristal clean highs and mids, also good bass but I use a 12" sub for that anyway. In stereo mode it sound a little on the thin side and the remote is somewhat confusing with most buttons being of the same size and no backlighting. Overall rating is VERY GOOD to EXCELLENT definetely recommended.

Purchased At:   The Wiz

Submitted by Corey B a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
Let me say this is a great amp. It replaced my Carver HTR 880 so that I could get DD/DTS. (with a ext decoder) My Carver seemed a bit more musical but had no room for the future of DD/DTS. I am very plaesed with this Amp. It powers my system without fail. It has brought me very clean sound with powerful bass and bright highs. I think it is the father of the RXV-995. It has everything you could need, Digital ready. The Pro Logic Enhanced is a nice addition. The Yamah DSP modes are nice but bearly used for me. All in all a good purchase. Enjoy.

My system: