Yamaha RX-V2700 7.1 Channels A/V Receivers

Offers the highest levels of sound and video quality and convenience for total home theater enjoyment. Features 1080p compatible HDMI, up-scaling, iPod compatibility, XM Satellite Radio Ready, upgraded CINEMA DSP programs, and zone control and Network Receiver functions. Using a local area network (LAN) connection and Windows Media Connect technology ver.2 or better, Yamaha Network enabled receivers allow you to play MP3, WMA and WAV music from up to four (4) PC?s. The receiver can even be used as a client for Yamaha?s MusicCAST home music server, seamlessly integrating with the MCX-2000 digital audio server within your LAN. The Network Receiver also provides the ability to listen to any of the thousands of stations available on Internet radio when connected to a broadband Internet connection.

Submitted by Mike a

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is a good receiver that will do much more than almost anyone will ever need. It sounds good but not as good as my older Denon 4802.

It is very complex and more difficult to set up than any other receiver I have owned. The automatic YAO set-up feature is nice but kept insisting that my 2 front and center channel speakers were set up with reverse polarity. I worked on this for over an hour testing speakers 1 by one only to determine that something inside the receiver must be wired backwards. Simply wiring the speakers backwards fixed the problem (at least as far as the receiver told me).

The main reason I bought this receiver over my older Denon was the HDMI video upconversion. I read previous reviews touting this feature. Well, it's not what I had hoped for. Upconverting to higher resolutions makes almost no difference in picture quality. But, it does produce an annoying vertical white line on the left side of the screen. Also, it should be noted that analog video signals converted to digital cannot be zoomed on a TV.

The remote controls are decent and are better than the touch screen remote from my Denon. It is really nothing special or noteworthy.

Since the sound quality is below what I am used to and the video upconverting is not as good as I thought, I will probably return this receiver.

The RX-V2700 is a decent receiver. Just make sure of your expectations before you buy it. Don't expect too much.

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2006

Bottom Line:
This receiver does everything I could possibly ask and much more. The sound, even with my 30 year old speakers, is very good. With my Paradigm Monitor 7s, they sound superb

Purchased At:   Audio Centre