Yamaha R-V703 A/V Receivers

3.38/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

Submitted by Arthur Ball a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is my parent's and although it does everything well, it does not excel in anything. For the price I suppose that is good enough and better than some. The musical quality is not nearly as good as our previous Yamaha RX-300U but then it does a lot more too. I have gotten into good music and find this receiver lacks the oomph and detail that the Sony has (Sony is 100wpc). We have large Infinity speakers that I know can do better than what this Yamaha receiver lets happen.

Purchased At:   Sound Post

Submitted by Gman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
Yamaha R-V703
A decent entry-level receiver from Yamaha. I bought it off ebay for around $100, and ran it for only 2 weeks before upgrading.
The Yamaha had fairly decent power and punch. Using the 5.1 inputs (my first experience with Dolby Digital) was definitely it’s strength. As with many home theater receivers, when you switch to stereo you need to be skeptical. The Yamaha is extremely tinny (although powerful) in stereo/music mode. The DSP’s are fun for an hour, but anyone who appreciates fine music knows they are worthless. They have some value for analog home theater, and the pro-logic worked well with a VCR. The remote is very nice for a programmable (not learning) remote—button placement and setup are easy and works very well. Remote rates 4-stars.

The system performed very well when linked with a DVD for home theater—I’d rate it a 3-star for home theater, and definately a 5-star for value judging by my $100 price (for home theater).
Musically I’d rate it only a 1-star, 3-star for value. Average the two (music/home theater), and you get a 2-star overall, and 4-star value (assuming you pay $100-$150 for the receiver). I’d recommend for someone looking for primarily a home theater receiver—if you enjoy and listen to lots of music, stay clear of this one.

Submitted by Daniel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have enjoyed using this reciever. It looks great and sounds great. Though it only has 80 watts per channel, it's price makes up for it. I would deffinately reccomend it to anyone wanting a reciever in this price range.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Jon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
Surprising sound, for the price. Was 10x better than my last receiver. Doesn't cut out, and made my old speakers sound, good.

Remote is not the greatest. But It doesn't affect the sound. Better than most remotes out there, but still good. Better than NO remote.

Submitted by Yen a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
purchased this amp one week ago. 80 wpc!! I think they over rated it. It clips and it sounds thin. I will return it soon.

CSB 1206 BLK: