Yamaha R V702 A/V Receivers

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

In addition to Yamaha's unique Dolby Pro Logic Enhanced (35 MM Movie Theater) and Dolby Pro Logic Surround Programs, the RV-702 offers six HiFi DSP programs: Concert Video, Concert Hall, Rock Concert, Disco and Stadium and a Mono-Movie program. For utilizing two center channel speakers for a larger system or with a big screen television. Another unique Yamaha DSP program that creates the same type of sound you experience in movie theaters with multi-speaker arrays.

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
This was my first receiver and used it with my bose 301's. I upgraded speakers to Athena s2/p2 which sound great with the receiver. Power output is fine for a small to medium room. The Yamaha does a good job of good power to very low distortion. The remote is well laid out and works well with almost all other stereo equipment. No problems so far and it looks good. It doesn't get to hot and is very quiet. No hissing or static, even at high output.

Purchased At:   Video Only

Submitted by William Broadhead a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this with a set of yamaha speakers as a set for about 650 plus a pioneer 300 cd player in 1998. I was very happy with it then as a basic music system but I'm looking to upgrade my receiver as i have moved into a new house and possibly add a sub and/or upgrade the basic yamaha speakers to make it more of a theater system for upstairs (not a theater room, so just kinda good). I was really came to appreciate the yamaha 702 when I started comparing it with some of the new all-in-one systems like Bose acoustimass/lifestyle, polks, and jvc's tp450 which i was attracted to for their aesthetic value in the space i want to use it in. For the space I need to fill (about 35'x20' with vaulted ceilings) I have realized the this mini-speaker systems just don't cut it. I actually got one home and set it up and took it back in three days I was so dissappointed. This analog only, with no whistles or bells other than quite good DSP, does a pretty darn good job for a basic system. I have decided that upgrading the receiver is the way to go and then the speakers. I have an old pair of Paradigm towers that I use to pump up the bass by adding those to the front channels (they have double 8" woofers each) and for music I think that does a great job and drives all 7 speakers great with no problems at all. But for theatre sound, i really need to get an amped sub.

Purchased At:   Ultimate