Yamaha R-V1105 A/V Receivers

4.4/5 (102 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

Dolby Digital/DTS Receiver

Submitted by Nash a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
Excellent build, crisp highs and controlled lows.
No heating issues like Technics I use a lot.
It is barely warm in a very tight shelf.

Remote is great, receiver output more than enough (somehow louder than specified).

Excellent and highly recommended. Had it for over a year on Technics fronts and Yamaha rears, enjoying more every day...

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by JEMuth a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing piece of audio equipment. Cinema DSP = AWESOME, Digital / DTS decoding is flawless, 85 watts are more than addequite. nice interface quality remote.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by Jeff Hyder a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
For the money, I really think this is one of the better setups out there on the market. I have this reciever hooked to a set of Magnepan SMGa speakers with a 10" 200 watt sub. It really sounds good. Clean, airy and transparent. I have owned and have friends that own much more expensive systems and maybe will reach louder listening levels but they dont ever really seem to sound any better. I like music at a nominal level but not so lund that my ears distort. This is an extremely clean setup that at lower volume levels can conjure the image and soundstage of much more expensive systems. So, if your one who listens to music for the pleasure and not the punishment, then this could be the reciever for you. Love it.

Purchased At:   Best buy

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best receiver out there for the money. You can't beat it without paying at least double. I have pounded my Yamaha surrounds with movies and music. Rock, Rap, Funk, Classical, Heavy Metal, Jazz, HEAVY METAL. This receiver has never let me down. Never had a problem with circuit protection tripping, nothing. Maybe I got lucky, but I think it's because it's a Yamaha. Sony's don't cut it, Denon rocks ($1000's more), Pioneer... Eh. My shelf system Aiwa sounds better than most Sony's and Pioneer's I've heard for half the money. Just my opinion, but stick with Yamaha unless you've got some money to burn. Then you'd be looking at HK's, Denon's etc. instead of reading these reviews.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Jim a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
YAMAHA CUSTOMER SERVICE UPDATE!

This is the update I said I would post after my ordeal with my R-V1105 was over.
If you remember I went though an unusual run of bad luck with my R-V1105 Receiver & the time involved with getting it fixed or replaced under warranty.

My problem began on August 15th 2001 & has ended finally on December 6th 2001.

In the period between those two dates I experienced a delay do to miscommunication between my local Yamaha authorized repair center & Yamaha.

In answer to my complaint to Yamaha on the delay I was shipped a refurbished (“B” Stock R-V1105).

About 1 week later the protection circuit on this replacement unit went bad.

Yamaha sent me a call tag & return authorization number at their expense. They wanted to check the unit out for themselves. I wanted them to send me something in return immediately & I was quite upset with them at the time.

I now understand that they get many calls from customers that are not actual problems but rather confusion on the customer’s part.

I waited about 5 day’s after shipping & was told that yes it had arrived & so far after 2 solid days at full volume on the test bench it had not failed. They were going to keep at it to make sure. I asked that they keep at it as it took a week before the problem showed up for me & possibly shipping had bounced something back in place,

As luck would have it on the 3rd day the problem showed itself & I had a call on my answering machine to give my rep a call.

I did &through negotiation I was able to upgrade to a more expensive RX-V1000 (“B”Stock) With a 2-year warranty for an additional $275.00.

I will say that after all I had been through I was not too happy with my experience with Yamaha equipment as far as reliability & concern for me as a customer went.

However my new receiver arrived. I hooked it up & set the unit up with an SPL meter. Although it hasn’t been long enough for me to make a judgment on the reliability of my replacement unit. I can say that I am very happy with the sound quality.

I now hope to use the equipment the way I originally intended. That is just turning it on & enjoy.

Anyone who has experienced the “Yamaha” sound can understand why I selected them to process my sound. After all a company who makes some of the finest musical instruments on the market might just know something about how they should sound when reproduced.

I expect this replacement unit will work for a long time, as it should. The 2-year warranty will help see to that.
All in all I am satisfied with what I ended up with for my trouble.

Purchased At:   one call .com