Yamaha HTR-5830SL A/V Receivers

• 5-Band Center Graphic Equalizer
  • 3 Digital Inputs

Submitted by bikdav a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2012

Bottom Line:
This is my first Yamaha product. For a basic receiver the HTR-5830 is a lot of receiver. I bought this used to replace a Sony that was heading out on me. It's in my home office serving as the computer sound system _ 2.1 for now. It is powering a pair of Optimus Pro X55 "satellites" along with a Cambridge Soundworks BassCube 8s. The sound quality and general set up flexibility of the HTR-5830 is much better than I was expecting. It does not have loads of inputs, but what it has should be fine for most users. One word of caution: Read the manual very carefully. It is extensive, but helpful. This receiver requires a lot of manual set up routines and general operations on your part. In return, that puts you in control of it. Overall, I'm pleased with the HTR-5830.

Submitted by gilwolfe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have also had good luck so far with this receiver, replacing a Technics 5.1 receiver I needed for another room. The sound is somewhat cleaner than the Technics, you can adjust treble and bass on all the sound processing programs (some of which are good -- Roxy Theatre for music, even the 5 channel stereo for some audio; some of which leave something to be desired but that is typical for even higher end receivers).

There is no phonograph input so you could be stuck if you still listen to your aging record collection. Otherwise great assortment of inputs. And the panel is organized in a simple, readily understood manner.

I have always heard good things about Yamaha receivers and I have not been disappointed so far. Solid for both both stereo music reproduction all the way up to 5.1 surround sound for movies. And it runs very cool (especially compared to my older Technics that you can fry an egg on)

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by ericausand a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
I was very Suprised with the quality of the sound this receiver produced. I wanted a 5.1 surround sound HTR becuase my old yammy was great for music but outdated for HTR. I did not realize I was missing so much! I put the first 5 minutes of Scream on and I nearly jumped through the roof because the caller sounded like he was in my living room. I did not expect to get this quakity sound for 179.00. The system was easy to set up (10 minutes or less) as all of the default settings were my exact specifications, medium room small speakers, sub etc. The optical inputs are a great value for the price and to have 0.9 THD at this price is also nice. The Panny HTIB I was going to buy was 10% THD!

I reccomend this receiver for those of you who love great HT but can't justify (or convince the woman) spending over $200 on a receiver. For the average guy like me this receiver is way more than enough!

Purchased At:   Best Buy