Yamaha HTR-5790 A/V Receivers

4.7/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $799.00

7-channel discrete amplifier configuration (110W x 7RMS/FTC), digital ToP-ART and High Current Amplification, Direct Stereo mode for 2-channel sound, accurate touch digitally regulated volume control governs all channels, Audio Delay for adjusting lip-synch, new 32-bit Yamaha LSI (YSS-930) for CINEMA DSP processing, compatibility with latest movie sound formats including Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, DTS Neo:6and DTS 96/24, THX Select processing, 27 surround programs (47 variations) with SILENT CINEMA and Night Listening mode, component video up conversion:S-video/composite signal conversion to component video signal, YPAO (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer), inputs/outputs for custom installation (Zone 2, Zone 3and speaker A/B selection), 9-channel speaker outputs, automatic presence speaker or Zone 2 speaker selection.

Submitted by joshhunsaker a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
I picked this guy up on ebay last month for a song ($125) and ended up paying an extra $40 just to get the remote (pissed me off a little that you have to have a remote in order to access essential menus....really dumb idea that was consider it came to me without one and the L/R balance was completely skewed by the previous owner I assume...) and was so ticked I didn't around to actually plugging it in until recently to test it to make sure it worked.

Well, it does work. Rather nicely at that. In fact - it's a really pretty phenomenal receiver. Massive transformer, large internal heatsinks (it does get rather warm) extensive layers of components nestled inside the chassis, very substantial/intricate build quality, lots of connectors, etc. The most surprising thing (besides that it outperforms my Sony ES series surround amp and many other nice 2-channel ones I've had) is how good the converters are. That's right. Not something you would think any general integrated receiver would ever do well. Compared to my Lucid ADA-1000 (not a cheap toy, though it is a little older) being fed by an Adcom cd player (acting as transport) matched through a likewise not cheap Aphex impedance matcher - it sounded literally like a breath of fresh air. I couldn't believe it. A receiver that cost as much as the stand alone pro-level Lucid I purchased (it's a D/A and A/D to be fair though, and still quite nice) was noticeably more detailed, clear and extended in the top-range. I am starting to rethink the whole components vs. separates battle...very seriously.

Quite powerful as well. Some cd's I have the volume up about 1/4th of what I know it will go to and that is plenty loud. I'm running Polk Audio LS50's as mains currently until I fetch my Polk RTA 15TLs (monsters those are) from San Jose where I left them (too big to take at the time). Bass is substantial but not bloated and boomy, highs are extended without being sharp or brash and the midrange has plenty of presence and vocals are ultra smooth. Basically every generic "audiophile"-style quality you would read being attached to an expensive piece of kit in say a typical Stereophile mag you could use to describe this machine. It's pretty surprising to say the least. Definitely not what I was expecting (though, I'm not really sure what I was expecting from it). I've had some really monstrous pro-audio amps that haven't held a candle to the sound quality from this piece (and sadly, many other much cheaper pieces) of gear.

You need the remote though, don't forget that part. I'm docking it a star as I feel it's really inept to design such a nice receiver that leans on a POS remote to play such a vital role (really, Yammie - what were you guys thinking? Is it that hard to make one knob or set of buttons on the receiver that actually does something useful? Too much to ask I guess...) Surround modes are exceptional naturally, though I do wish I knew if they were using Wolfson or CirrusLogic or Burr-Brown or whatever dacs on the thing, as that part is so exceptional (2-channel is a huge standout). Haven't even gotten my hands on a proper mic to test out the YPAO thing (which I'm assuming is also as good as people claim). Should be fun...

Submitted by frostedsoul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2006

Bottom Line:
This receiver so awesome, the bass so decent when turn to high volume, mid and treble are very clear. The surroud is so true.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by rt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
have used the 5790 for just over a year, replaced the pioneer vsx-d309,great sound quality, pure , clean sound,wonderful music modes, enjoy "presence"mode alot! lately though, have been having intermitten "clicking" noise during regular use,(similar to mode switching noise) without system operation delay, or interuption, but is audible and annoying! any similar defects or advice?

Purchased At:   bestbuy

Submitted by maddgoo1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Yamaha HTR-5790 to replace an mid 90s Onkyo TX-717 Pro. I am using the unit as a amp and preamp to drive my ADCOM GFA-555. Two sets of Surrounds and the center speaker are connected to the Yamaha, and my old Adcom drives the old Boses. The device has many surround features, several of which are automatic and will select in response to the source material. The amp is easy to use and you can adjust the response room equalization via the automatic YPAO analyzer, or tinker manually. The amp has a good on-screen display you can connect to the TV to enable tinkering from the easy chair. You can also adjust and rename your individual components on screen and rename for example, "DVD" to the brand component for that input, for example "Pioneer." The choices are provided in upper, lower, and numbers. The remote control is easy to use, but somewhat hard to read in a semi-darkened room; backlighting might help. Power is ample for the speakers being driven, and the connectors are good quality. The quality of sound is superb from where I sit, and is not fatiguing to listen to for long periods. Both the front panel and back panels are good quality, and easy to use and understand. This particular unit might still be avaialble at a bargain, since the replacement HTR-5890, was just introduced. I've been very happy so far with the purchase of this amp and would recommend this unit to other enthusiasts.

Note: no comments provided on the tuner section since I have not utilized the FM features.

Purchased At:   Local dealer

Submitted by doc4b a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2005

Bottom Line:
What can I say that hasn't been posted previously?

This receiver is incredibly clean and incredibly powerful. I bought it to replace a Kenwood VR-7070 that I was not especially thrilled with. It was powerful and clear as well, but you couldn't adjust the treble/bass in surround mode. Now, I realize purists would say you shouldn't tinker with mother nature, but the system sounded a little flat to me in my living room.

So, I took a leap off faith on this receiver (after reading all the reviews and realizing that I could tweak it to my satisfaction with treble/bass, and the very interesting YPAO).

BTW, be wary of the new 5890, the specs seem more similar to a Pioneer or Sony, than to the fine quality recievers that Yamaha usually creates (XM ready or not)

Purchased At:   Best Buy