Yamaha HTR-5750 A/V Receivers

3.5/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $450.00

6.1 channel, 105W x 6, 192 kHz/24-Bit DAC for all channels, selectable 9-band subwoofer crossover, subwoofer phase select, analog mixdown, direct Stereo Mode, Straight/Effect switch, low impedance drive capability, linear damping, wide-range audio frequency response for DVD-Audio/SACD compatibility, subwoofer output, Speaker A, B, and A+B selection (Front L/R), program name and sound field indications, 4-layer DSP processing board, center graphic equalizer, Virtual CINEMA DSP, preset remote control unit, sleep timer, 40 station preset tuning, auto preset tuning.

Submitted by Maurice Rogers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
as a musician I cant Imagine losing any of the highs,mids, or lows. i can not say how pleased i have been with the durability and quality construction of the HTR-5750!
It rivals more expensive receivers and the power was impressive.
When combined with a great set of speakers( 9x Bose)and the optical cable, My theater experience could not be better.
I know its the stereo, Why did i look out the window? Just to be sure.
Rich, smooth, and natural is the way i would describe my listening experience!
Worth the 8 clams I paid for it.

Submitted by Konrad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2007

Bottom Line:
I just bought this receiver off a friend and I have to say it is really disappointing for a yamaha. I was expecting something really good compared to the sony str-840 i just sold, but I was wrong. As the person before me said, the sound is too warm, the highs aren't crisp and the bass is muffled. To an ordinary listener it probably sounds great, but I hate to say my previous sony sounds way better. I'm going to make a trip to the electronics store to buy a new different yamaha to see if the HTR-5750 is just a bad make. Also, don't use the CD input, for some reason the sound is much stronger with DVD input instead. I'm currently powering infinity towers RS8's and it takes going to almost -10 dB to get good sound of them, definitely not what I expected from a yamaha.

Purchased At:   Private Owner

Submitted by jukeboxtheater a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit on clearance to replace an aging Harman Kardon integrated amp. Can't say I really expected much given the price I'd paid... And I wasn't surprised. The sound had a grayish cast with little warmth. The midrange seemed recessed as hell (sounded like my favorite vocalists were in the next county!) All in all a disappointing if not unexpected result.

Then I tried messing with some of the receiver's features. First thing I did was put it in "Direct Stereo" mode, this according to the manual would result in "pristine, high quality stereo." "Better," I thought but still not great. The sound lost a little of its grayish cast but still sounded somewhat anemic.

Then I tried something called "STRAIGHT" mode. The manual mentions something about "unprocessed signals" but was rather unclear as to the difference between this mode and "Direct Stereo." Anyway, the sound was somewhat warmer than "Direct Stereo", but the soundstage seemed to shrink a bit. Still, all in all, this seemed to be the best compromise for sound quality and I continued listening to the receiver in this mode for the next few weeks.

As I gradually became acclimated to the sound, I thought I might try one more thing to improve the quality. Inspired by the magazine "The Perfect Sound" which had given a rave review to another Yamaha receiver, I was convinced that my unit was indeed capable of greater things. So, the next thing I did was unhook my high-end cd player from the cd input, and instead hooked it into the "Front" channel inputs on the multichannel section.

"Wow!" thought I, "I must be imagining things!" There was no way the sound, which was now warm, open, with a delicious top-end sparkle, could have possibly improved this much. Deciding to wake up from my hi-fi reverie, I switched the cd player back to the cd input.

First, I tried the "Direct Stereo" mode again. No contest. The sound became anemic again with no sparkle. Next, after having switched back to the multichannel input to make sure I wasn't hallucinating, I rehooked the cd player to the cd input and tried the "STRAIGHT" mode once more.

"This is much closer," thought I, "but the sound seems somewhat coarser and the soundstage is definitely smaller." Needless to say, I switched back to the multichannel input and haven't looked back since!

Purchased At:   Fry's Electronics

Submitted by Owl256 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver to replace my dead technics receiver less than a year ago. I got because it had many features such as 6.1 channels, alot of video switching, low distortion, and a good brand name reputation and was on sale. I use the S-Video upconversion to reduce the number of connections needed which is a great feature. The six channel direct imputs are also being utilized. The sound on this reciever seens good enough considering the ok speakers I have connected to it (bose 301). The treble seems to be too pronounced. It does produce enogh power, but compared to my previous reciever it seems week. It is also quite deep and is not very good looking. I also think that its feet are too tall. All in all this reciever has many good features and is a good value, but the sound cannot be called remarkable.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by why a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought this reciever just under a year ago to power my klipsche mains and polk audio center and rears (i realive they dont match but the polks were given to me and i bought the klipsche speakers before i knew better). While the htr series is good for the money if you buy one online, the sound is overly bright even at low volumes and annoyingly harsh as the ouput approaches 0db. I'm also getting the impression that the 105 watt per channel rating is very bloated. My system is currently placed in a rather small dorm room and i still find myself wanting higher volumes. In fact, the reciever has overheated several times when ive been too drunk to remember to keep it under 5db. All my speakers at the time were an easy to drive eight ohm load. Also, I'd like to mention that i realize a great deal of the brightness comes from the nature of klipsche speakers, but ive recently run my axiom audio center with this reciever and found it is much much brighter then when run with my parents onkyo reciever.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com