Yamaha HTR-5450 A/V Receivers

The HTR-5450 is a 5-channel receiver providing the finest performance and procesing available for music and video sound. The 5 channels are: Left/Right Main, Center, Left/Right Rear Effects. The receiver delivers Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1-channel formats. Yamaha's Digital Sound Field Processing, Cinema DSP and Tri-Field Processing are all included as is Dolby Surround Pro Logic processing. The HTR-5450 also provides Silent Cinema and all channel stereo.

Submitted by Dan Andrews a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is the best receiver I have heard in this price range. I've sold consumer electronics (mid- and high-end) for more than 12 years, and I know that in this price range it's easy for the manufacturer to get a "cookie-cutter" mentality. But not Yamaha. They still use their own DSP chip that is head-and-shoulders better than any competitor (again, in this price range). Discrete amplifiers for each channel keep it clean all around. Great value. This is replacing a terrific Kenwood KRV-9010 I had for 12 years (yep, bought it at my first job, Circuit City!). I feel confident that this Yamaha will serve me as well for at least as long.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Tim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
The HTR-5450 has a fair sound quality, and a low output. The construction of the cabinet is quite poor. The top "sank" in within the first week of owning the unit.

Purchased At:   on-line retail

Submitted by jcambero a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
I had this Yamaha only for a little while only because I couldn't do component video switching on it. I was very impressed by the power but I have to say the sound comes out too warm for me. I also own a Marantz SR-5000 and sound-wise the Marantz sounds better hands down. Maybe it's because this Yamaha objective is not to beat the high end stuff but still I couldn't help feeling I was "stepping down" when I listened to the Yamaha. I also noticed I went through some trouble when trying to sell it. This receiver is too comercial and people see it almost as "one more" (ie. a Kenwood, Pioneer or even worse a Sony). Definitely did not hold its value. The project for the 5450 must have run out of money right when they were designing the remote because it's so thin it makes you feel you are controlling with a butterfinger candy bar.

Submitted by agtpunx40 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
very good product. I listened to many recievers in the price range, was trying to decide between this and a Denon, when this one went on sale. Very reliable also, no problems at all despite lots of use often at loud volumes. I am not a huge fan of DSP, but they are usefull sometimes. Like others have mentioned, the remote isn't the greatest, and while this may seem insignificant, it doesn't have a last channel button for the TV (although it does for the cable box) which has been really annoying a few times. My only other real complaint is that I think the small speaker setting cutoff is to high. I prefer having the speakers set to small to let the amp work where it's needed, but 90hz is a little too high for my taste. Not a huge deal, but still. These are just minor complaints about a very good product. This and the HSU VTF2 are the only two things that I bought 4 for overall rating because well, it's a $400 reciever and just is not able to compete with high end recievers. 4 for value, you won't be disappointed if you're looking in the price range, but like I said, not a "giant killer".
my system
Hsu VTF 2 sub

Purchased At:   bb

Submitted by Tim a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
This receiver has been a hard receiver to work with. The literature in the manual is less then easy to understand. I have dealt with the same troubles as others, the receiver shutting off and the message to check speaker wires, the top of the receiver has sunk down and does not look very appealing in the entertainment center.

Purchased At:   discount magazene