Yamaha DSP-A2 A/V Receivers

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by AH786 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
I finally got the amp I wanted. Great in movies and music. First of all, I have to say that the amp is very heavy due to the quality of parts and large power supply used. Build quality as usual with Yamaha is top class, very solid construction and it looks like your typical Yamaha amp. There’s a knob you can turn for selecting inputs and an analog volume control. Apart from the above controls there’s only a power button and input mode button you can see. When you open the panel below, there are plenty of controls and inputs for Video and audio. The menus in setting up the amp are simple and probably there should be more. This is a problem with all Yamaha amps. There are more then enough inputs at the rear. The sound quality in stereo is very nice. It’s solid, powerful, detailed and the high end is clearly presented. Doesn’t sound dull as some people have said. I’ve listened to a few Yamaha and Sony AV amps and this has by far the best sound for stereo music. There’s a tone bypass button you can use for pure sound. In DTS and DD mode it’s amazing, there’s so much detail and it’s all there in your face, not laid back like some amps. The only way I think you can better DTS and DD sound is by having more power, so the sound is a little cleaner at realistic listening volume. But that’s a minor complaint, there’s very little hiss, it only becomes noticeable when the volume knob is after 1 o clock. After 1 o clock, the sound becomes a bit harsher but this is expected. But I can’t see anyone raising the volume above 12 o clock, unless you’re using it in a very very large room. In firewall tests done by homecinemachoice magazine it gives a very respectable figure of 95W, after this distortion starts setting in and affects the quality. Considering its rated at 100 w and the max figure obtained by the mag was 110 then you can see it’s a very powerful amplifier. You can pick up these amps for under 500 pounds off ebay or other second hand sources. If you want a better AV amp you’re going to have spend over 1000 pound. And at that price range, you’re going to want some very expensive speakers to notice the difference. I know I am going to keep this amp until it dies.

My setup:

B&W DM601 S1 (fronts)
B&W DM110 (rears)
Paradigm CC150
Yamaha YST SW205

As you can see my speakers are good but there's a lot better out there(mainly floorstanders) , but for me they are perfect.

Submitted by Jizz Mopper a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome quality product. Its ound quality and the array of features are well discussed elsewhere. I have one MAJOR point to make though - take note all DSP-A2 owners.

A few other reviews mention the poor stereo performance. This is easily remedied. On the back there is a nasty pair of aluminium jumpers connecting the pre-out to the two main speaker inputs. REMOVE THIS!! Replacing this with even a very modestly priced, short interconnect makes a massive, MASSIVE difference to the two main speakers in both stereo and surround. The better the interconnect, the better the improvement. This shouldn't prove too expensive if you get a 10 or 20 cm length.

I cannot over-emphasize how fundmentally important this improvement is in order to realise some of this fantastic amplifier's potential.

Correspondance on this matter is welcomed. Happy listening/viewing.

Purchased At:   Superfi (UK)

Submitted by Bryan Mayo a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've read a lot of harsh reviews when it comes to anything Yamaha. I've even had to defend them because their supposedly too "mainstream" and are accused of sacrificing audio quality for mass-production. This is really undeserved. Take the DSP-A2 for instance. I have to say that I'm in awe of this A/V Receiver. I owned a 992 before this receiver and was very pleased with it. The only reason I upgraded was to get a little more power and DTS decoding (I actually got a lot more that that). And I was able to get this unit for around $1,200!

This is what I have my Yamaha powering:

* 2 sets (4 speakers total) of Polk Audio RT10's (running in parallel)
* 1 Klipsch KSC-C1 center
* Mission SW 76 powered subwoofer (doesn't really count because it's a POWERED subwoofer)
* 2 Klipsch KSB 1.1 (for my front effect channels)
* 2 JBL cube rears (the weakness link in my setup; but still tons better then the Bose 201's that they replaced)

This receiver runs all of this without a hitch! I'm constantly amazed at how little I have to move the volume dial to get it to produce copious amounts of aural bliss (I've never gone above 11 o'clock for fear of having the police called!) I use every ounce of power when I watch my movies. This unit produces exceptionally balanced timbre that envelopes the listener with a bear-hug of sound that forces you to subconsciously smile every time there is any kind of action happening on the screen.

And I want to clarify to some people that think that a hot receiver implies inefficient circuitry when converting electrical "sound" to actual sound. Anything that moves a lot of current will experience a good deal of heat simply because there are so many electrons moving within such a confined space (confined is a relative term since electrons are so small). Good old electrical resistance that comes naturally in conductors like copper and gold will also produce heat when you have any usable current moving through it (that is, enough current movement to hear sound).

In short, for the amount of money you are shelling out, you get several DECADES of musical experience, very high quality circuitry, a competent and well organized audio and video switching center, a good deal of audio control and power, and the dependability and quality that Yamaha has always been known for. I don't think that people should write off this unit, or Yamaha, simply because it is produced in a greater quantity than other "mom-and-pop" amplifier companies. You can't go wrong with Yamaha (well, with their electronics; I'm not all that thrilled with some of their speakers).

Purchased At:   AAFES (overseas)

Submitted by Ashfake Johnston a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
It has a great finish from inside and outside,Doesnt convert most of its input to sound.I dont value it for that much of money.As I said before its good for frying purposes.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Six X,Yamaha sole agents

Submitted by Young-sang Lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
Many years ago, I was interested in Yamaha sound. Today, Yamaha has advanced to electronic edge. It still has
clear sound but has more electronic gadgets.
The power is enough with 8 Ohm Acoustic Research Speaker Set. It is hard to say this matches very well especially
for piano, though.
Actually, I am not satisfied with the Prologic decoding.
For some, it is much better without these effect.
Over all, it sounds good.

Purchased At:   Local Audio Shop