Yamaha DSP-A5
Description: A/V Receiver with DTS/DD decoder

Submitted by ant66 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2010

Bottom Line:
very good amp over 7 years old now and still orks as if new yesed with 2 ms music series speakers as main 2 tannoy mercury mxR speakers as rears and a yamaha yst-sw320 subwofer could ot wish for a better setup for movies or loud bassy music allthough amp does get hot when used at loud volume (16 -db) whatever that means, is ths normal?

Submitted by Tom2000 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
As an entry level Dolby Digital and DTS decoder, this is a fine amp, however I have noticed a few things that make me unhappy. I can here "hiss" when using coax digital ins (Only at high volumes in quiet sections, mind you but hiss non the less) I have used 2 different makes of digital coax interconnect and have used both my DVD player and CD player playing a XRCD (fully digital recorded and mastered cd with no hiss) as a test. I can hear hiss on all of the channels that have a coax digital in. Absolutely no hiss is found when the DVD player and CD player are connected up with analogue stereo interconnects (phonos). I have concluded that there is a problem with the DAC on my DSP-A5. I don't know anyone else with this amp so I can't say if it's a common fault or not. It's a very quite hiss so you may not even notice it unless you play your movies/music at unbelievably high levels and they have large quiet sections.

Stereo performance is ok. Good detail but a lack of soundstage makes me long for a better stereo amp. However this amp can be used as a processor and has full 5.1 outputs as well as inputs. So I will be keeping it as a processor.

I use Mission 77C1 (centre) and 77DS (rears) that sound very good with movies and good with Dolby Digital/dts music disks.

I was not too impressed by Pro-logic but I never have been. I prefer to have stereo rather than pro-logic.

If you can pick one up second hand I recommend it highly. In the 3 years I have had this amp I have never had a problem with it other than the slight hiss. If possible check for the hiss your self and look for any crackle when turning up the volume. The loud click when changing between digital and analogue sources is normal, it's the DAC turning on and off I think.

The remote is ok but very cluttered. I was able to program my other learning remote with the signals from it with no problems.

Overall I am very happy with my A/V amp. Only the stereo reproduction and lack of EX and pro-logic II makes me think of upgrading.

Purchased At:   Beaver Hi-Fi Liverpo

Submitted by shrink a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Amazing amp for the money. Great bass ability and its power far exceeds its paper specs. Put it this way... It drives a set made up of B&W P5's a CDM-CNT and mission 77ds rears and although it runs a little hot it drives them to full capacity and has never shut itself off once.

Great features. A little basic on the setup and delay options but all that you need is there.

NOt bad with music. I have heard better but not in an interated AV amp in this price bracket. The only reason im changing this amp is because i feel my B&W's deserve a little better so my next step is a rotel 5 channel power amp to strap onto the A5. Remember this is the same processor and basic pre-amp section as the mighty DSP-A1. I will up my processing later on.

Purchased At:   secondhand

Submitted by Pedro Trigueira a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
bought the Denon SC-50HTB system, plug it to to A/V and ride on....fantastic sound and effect ...awsome dloby prologic "enhanced" ....

Submitted by John Byrne a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
Exellent Amp. Very clear listening to both DVD and CD player. Much more than just an AMP. I use top of the range speakers + an exellent Gale Sub Woofer. Can't imagine watching a film using anything else.

Purchased At:   Hi Fi Store in Weymo