Yamaha RX-V596
Description: Dolby Digital/DTS receiver with 6 channel inputs for external processor

Submitted by alltora a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
I posted a review a couple some time ago.
Im now running power amps on all channels.
Ive come to the conclusion that there is something wrong with the bass management and the centre speaker arrangement.
The Bass goes missing when I select the centre speaker(whether large or small) when playing in Dolby Digital mode. I have changed every option on the settings, bass to main, both, subwoofer etc. I am using my main right and left for bass, no subwoofer. It is not the centre channel speaker being out of phase either, as when I turn the amp off for this channeland select b/w centre off and centre on , there is a large increase in bass coming through the left and right speakers with centre off. The difference can be made up with the bass control, but needs ~7db boost to the bass to bring it up to the same level. Has anyone else experienced this, or perhaps you would like to try and see what does happen when the centre is switched on and off. It would be useful to have some type of equalisation settings for the centre channel. Its very unlikely that a centre speaker every matches the left and right. I have put a graphic equaliser in the cenre channel pre out line to tame the boominess of male voices that occurs on my centre speaker.
I still hate the remote, and as other people have commented, the display is too small to read from +3m away. Ive got good eyesight and can read the display on most things from 4-5metres.

Submitted by adrian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2004

Bottom Line:
I was not very pleased with stereo sound of this amp,so I bought an external amplifier.Now I`m very satisfied.As a preamp it`s excelent.I recommend yamaha for home theater or as a preamp.

Purchased At:   4Audio Belgrade

Submitted by smokehouse a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
All-arround this is a prety solid receiver. After having used this product for two years I feel I know almost all it's quirks. When it comes to Dolby Digital and DTS processing this unit is solid. As for the amplification, not so good. The signal from the 596 is harsh, shrill and flat,not good. I landed up using this unit with a B&K AV500 5ch amp and the difference is staggering.The 6ch outs on the 596 are a wonderful feature. This proves one thing, the shrill, flat sound is not due to the processing but to the amplification. Also the remote is horrible but almost anyone will get used to it with time. Not bad for $500, but other companies make better for the same $

My system (audio)
Type Twelve Audio Monolith sub

Purchased At:   LeSalle Electronics

Submitted by Nathan Kendall a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a great quility entry level home theater receiver. There are not a lot of extras but there are no problems setting it up either. Plenty of power considering the price, although 2 channel stereo is very bad, it sounds to open.

Purchased At:   East Hamilton Radio

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
A receiver good for home theater, but little else. I went from a Yamaha RX-V870 purchased in 1994 (for $1000) to this model in order to gain 5.1 and was immensely disappointed in the way it handles 2-channel stereo music. My old 870 produced wonderfully smooth, rounded and warm timbres with even with those recordings where it is most critical (such as with Arvo Part's "Te Deum"). To play this same CD on the 596 is almost unbearable. Hollow, tinny, completely lacking in midrange and depth. I guess I was wrong to assume that just having the name 'Yamaha' on it would ensure quality audio. My wonderful sounding Polk speakers sounded like junk with this thing. So now I've got it for sale, and hope to buy the new Onkyo SR600.

Purchased At:   A&B