Yamaha RX-V1
Description: Flagship Home Theater Receiver Features Digital ToP-ART Design, Dolby Digital, DTS, Digital Matrix 6.1, DTS ES, Cinema DSP, and Tri-Field Processing. 110 watts x 6.

Submitted by GeorgeB a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2014

Bottom Line:
The Yamaha RX-V1 was cheap on CL for $100 with remote, very clean, the owner wanted a smaller system. It has worked flawlessly for surround altho setup is a nightmare. I also have 2 Denon 3805's and a Denon 3801 hooked up thru a distribution amplifier, everything fed thru a dedicated home computer (I like pandora at times). The ease of use and multichannel stereo of the Denon's give them 5 stars. The Yamaha gets 4 because I can't seem to get rid of "delay" from rear speakers for stereo listening. The beast is well made though and I can't fault the power. We rarely watch movies anymore but having all receivers on blasting music is great. I bought all my receivers used and these old things all sound great and were dirt cheap. Never had an issue with any receiver in my house (I have 10 hooked up all over in all rooms and garage and a lot of very nice speakers). If you like surround sound grab the Yamaha, just be ready to pull your hair out setting up the heavy beast. The sound field programs in the Yamaha are too echoey for my tastes but I suppose they can be adjusted somehow, the manual is confusing. I have an excuse to ramble because I just turned 60!

Submitted by Hurricane103 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
The RX-V1 has 54 different soundfield programs, some of which are used primarily with music while others are best with movies.Yamaha uses LSI chips of their own design operating at 44 bits, and the results are undeniably impressive.. For movies, the options are no less astounding. In the standard and enhanced 5.1 and 6.1 matrix modes, the sound is always impressive. With 110 watts per channel for each of the six main speakers and 35 more for each front surround speaker, there's plenty of power for most applications. Even hard-hitting dynamic material.
The AM/FM tuner allows up to 40 channels to be stored in five subgroups of eight channels each. With a decent antenna, it has fine-sounding, low-noise reception.
Ihave no complaints as to the sound reproduction capabilities of the RX-V1.I found the two-channel sound quality to be clear and uncolored.The sound wasn't bright as most people complained about other Yamaha receivers. I did most of my listening in the processor direct mode, bypassing the tone and bass controls.
I found the remote a bit difficult to use in the dark, as only a few buttons are backlit and the shape and placement of the buttons on the crowded remote are not intuitive.
If Yamaha were to dump the power-amplifier section and sell this simply as a pre/pro, it would still be an excellent value. When fully loaded, this receiver is so flexible and powerful anyone could find a setting that would live up to their highest expectations.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by WindsorGuy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
I like this receiver, but I'm not going to give a lengthy review. This is a note for those experiencing channel drop out on their front channels. One solution that I found was to either create or purchase a very short RCA cable. Connecting the main ins to the main outs with this cable has solved this issue for me. I'm going on 2+ years with on channel drop outs.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by cmack a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best if not the best reciever I've heard especially after taking the time to set my room up properly. I don't understand why people consider the sound of this or most other Yamaha recievers brite ,If anything their extremely accurate it's not yamahas fault that most recordings sound like crap. I always thought that the main reason for hifi was to recreate live music ,funny if I play a well recorded cd the sound comes pretty close to me and I don't need a reviewer in a magazine to tell me any different. To bad we don't have people like juilian hirsch around anymore, he gave his opinion but he didn't have to bash a companys product to do it. anywayz I like this reciever ,also I don't think any company makes a bad product,however more than any other component or "components" your speakers actually have more to with the overall sound than anything else. Trust me if you know what your doing you can possibly make a product you thought sound terrible sound amazing(that is if you're not letting someone else make the decsion for you, you don't let people choose what you like to eat why let someone choose your equipment)Anywayz just take the time to set your room up even a quarter of and inch will make a difference in the sound of a speaker(and you don't need any type of acoustic treatment either),I can tell you from experience. Sorry to get so far off the subject I just think that we've gotten away from the entertainment(movies,music and such) and started letting the equipment become the entertainment. the only reason I claim to be and audiophile is because I became an idiot after spending a good bit of cash to achieve sonic nirvana and really didn't have to, you know how SACD seems to make sounds kind of bounce toward subtly, just imagine getting that sound with just about everything you listen to it can be done and it doesn't have to cost you tons of cash. No disrespect to other audiophlies butI'm sure you understand.

Submitted by IRememberSchnelly a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I LOVE this receiver. Where to start? Well, probably with my current setup:

Yammy RX-V1
NHT SC-1 Center
NHT ST-4 Mains
NHT SuperZero Surrounds
SVS PB2+ Subwoofer
Mitsubishi DVD
Mitsubishi 53" Rear Projection HDTV

In any case, I got this unit about 18 months ago on clearance at Tweeter. There isn't much to say that hasn't already been said about this receiver. Just count me among the VERY happy owners of this unit.

I have noticed some of the same harshness in music reproduction that others have noticed; however, I got this as a home theater system and not for music. I'm thoroughly pleased with this receiver and quite happy I bought it.

Purchased At:   Tweeter