Technics SA-EX510 A/V Receivers

4.43/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $420.00

Submitted by GAOO a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
I owned this receiver before AX6 and AX7. This was the best for stereo listening because of his power (120watts) but was so so in home theater; only 60 watts by channel for surround, compared to 120watts the rest. This made a real disproportion to sound (why the surround channel use 4 ohms speakers rear...). I also found that the 510 has a lack of bass. The voice (high and mid) are REALLY clear, too clear for the bass(i don't say that the bass isn't good, just that it needs boost). You absolutely need a subwoofer. The rest is okay and I consider this SA-EX510 an excellent receiver for stereo use. Very simple to use. The remote is too big with 1 millio of small buttons... Check the SF-DX7 combo package for the best sound in home theater mode!!!
P.S. for people who say that SA-AX7 isn't good in stereo mode, you're wrong. The SA-AX7 just need more power. There is a big difference between 510 and AX7. Ax7 has a better clarity and definition of sound, but we can't compare...
My System:
Subwoofer: 2 Kenwood 12" KFC-W3082
Built my own speakers...

Submitted by Jerry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
Amp is very impressive. Lots of power with my 200 watt Altec Lansing Speakers! Wife is always complaining!! lol The speakers cannot handle the power. The woofers are being pushed.

Recently tried the Technics SFDX7 Home Theater Unit and was not impressed with the stereo power. The SA-EX510 is far better when compared.

SA-EX510:
Excellent for Music Sound
Impressive with DVD's (I have a Panasonic DVD A120)

SFDX7:
Pathetic for Music Sound (No Power in Stereo Mode)
Excellent with DVD's (Most impressive sound that I ever heard!!)

Definately would have purchased the SFDX7 if it was 150 watt per channel in stereo and 100 x 6. Wouldn't hestitate.

The SA-EX510 is the best buy for those who cannot afford the higher end receivers (myself included!).

Submitted by Jerry a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2000

SA-EX510:
Excellent for Music Sound
Impressive with DVD's (I have a Panasonic DVD A120)

SFDX7:
Pathetic for Music Sound (No Power in Stereo Mode)
Excellent with DVD's (Most impressive sound that I ever heard!!)

Best buy for those who cannot afford the higher end receivers (myself included!).

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2000

Bottom Line:
A very excellent choice for the money, but if you have a DVD player spend the extra money for Digital, the sound difference is awesome.

Submitted by Jeff a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
After listening to my 35 watt Marantz (which still sounds decent, I must say) since 1975, I thought it was time I upgraded to a newer model. After doing some research in the mags and doing some comparison shopping, I decided to get the 510 about one year ago. I have not been disappointed, except that it lacks strong low end. That is probably more due to using Cerwin-Vega bookshelf speakers, which are excellent high and mid range, but not big enough for good low end. This Christmas I treated myself to a 150 powered JBL sub-woofer and now my system is complete! It is crystal clear in the high and medium range for classics, etc. and the sub-woofer really kicks it for jazz, rock, etc. If you want a really nice system for under $1500, get this receiver, the matching Technics 5 disk carousel CD player, the Technics dual tape deck, some decent bookshelf speakers, and a powered sub-woofer, and you can provide yourself and your neighbors with a wide variety of sounds!

Sennheiser: