Technics SA DX1040 A/V Receivers

3.92/5 (12 Reviews)

- Aluminum Front Panel.
- Built-in 20-bit dts/Dolby Digital Decoders.
- 1-Discrete 6-Channel DVD/Decoder Input.
- Extended Frequency Response: 100kHz.
- VGCA: Variable Gain Control Amplifier.
- TA-KE: HI FI Grade Audio Capacitors.
- New TUI Power Transformer.
- MMD: Bi-Amp Capability.
- Binding Post Terminals.
- S-VHS Capability.
- 3-Digital Inputs (Optical).
- 5-Audio and 3-Video Inputs.
- Subwoofer Preout (100Hz).
- Tape Monitor.
- Low Impedance Stable (4O).
- A and/or B Speaker Capability.

Submitted by Bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
My brother was browsing the local classifieds one day and saw a listing for "5.1 home theater and speakers for sixty bucks. He told me about is as he already had an Onkyo 5.1 setup with KLH speakers and a Sony sub.

We got to this guys house and could not beleive what he was selling. All 4 KLH 100w surrounds, a 150w Pioneer center, a Jenson powered 100w downfiring sub, and the receiver a Technics SA-DX1040 with remote!! I automatically assumed this was stolen property and he threw in the receipts and manual!!

Neadless to say I bought it unheard on the spot. When I got it home and immediately hooked it all up and WOW Holy $h|te and a few other comments later my brother was kicking himself for not getting it for himself.

I give it 4 stars overall because there are a lot of nice newer models with desirable features that the 1040 doesn't have like 7.1, Dolby Digital 2, or THX certification. If you can get one of these for under Two hundred you should go for it provided the last owner didn't fry one or more of the 5.1 channels you might just be able to grab some nicer speakers for the setup. If you have multiple hundreds to drop go for the bleeding edge 7.1.

Purchased At:   A Re tards in Pitcar

Submitted by xekrubx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have owned this receiver for about 3 or 4 years now. I use this EVERYDAY. I CRANK THE HELL OUT OF IT EVERYDAY. Yes it does heat up a good amount and i overload it quite a but but thats because i beat the crap out of it all the time. The average consumer wouldnt ever play it at those levels everyday so the heat problem isnt really a factor. I leave this on all through the night and most of the day. My only complaint at this point is when i adjust the balance it makes a fuzzy sound and sometimes i have to jiggle the knob for it to cut the channel out. Also my remote broke 4 months after the purchase and i cant set any of my suround levels. Otherwise for the price this is one of the best recievers ive ever own or seen.

Submitted by Joe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
My overall assessment of this product would have to be ... wow. I saw this product at a Best Buy store marked at $199. I stood there and thought to myself.......is this thing mis-marked? the lower quality lines of technics receivers were sitting next to the 1040 for $50 more? Anywho, how could I pass it up?

Submitted by Drew a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have to say that this is one of the best audio buys that I have made on new equipment. I have been using it for the past 3 months with a pair of Magnepan SMG's. Those are a 4 OHM load. Yes it gets warm at low volumes but if you turn up the volume a bit to the point which the fan comes on it will get ice cold(reason they did this was so the music volume would cover the humm of the fan). Even after running all night at low volume with the fan off it didn't get too hot, not enough to melt down. It seems to get to a certain temp and hold steady. Anyway, that BS stuff. The sound is where this unit shines. Mine has tested at 106 watts per channel@6ohms which exceeds the specs by a small margin. That is rare with the lower cost brands. Highs shine, and bass kicks(before the magnepans they don't play much low bass)I have a powered sub for that now. These speakers are said to reveal any weakness in your equipment. Trust me, there is no major weakness here. The soundstage and clairity are amazing. If you can get your hands on one for $200 or less BUY IT!

Submitted by mcfarlaj a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I never thought I would be the type of person to write a bad review but I just had to stop anyone out there from buying this thing. I bought the unit in Nov of 2000 and only had two speakers to use it with. I was satisfied with it (though it gets extremely hot). I recently bought a surround speakers and when I hooked them up the unit wouldn't work. Nothing would come out of ANY speakers. It only works in Stereo Mode. I called Panasonic and they were very rude and unfamiliar with the product. A senior technician called me back and told me the it was broken. No kidding.

So I want to advise anyone considering this unit to go elsewhere. This will be the last Panasonic audio equipement I buy.

Purchased At:   CameraClub.com

Technics Sa Dx1040 home audio reciever for sale

Perfect condition, bi amp, 100 watts per channel, all paperwork and remote included, 150 dollarsRead More »

High End: