TEAC AG-D9100 A/V Receivers

4.43/5 (53 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

Submitted by darshanv a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2002

Bottom Line:
I feel obliedged to write notes to my purchase of this system. I used a lot of such reviews to decide on buying this system. After doing an exhaustive survey, listening to demos of Yamahas,Denon,Harman Kardon, etc (in price range from $ 500 to $700), i decided this TEAC D9100. It is wonderful piece and match perfectly well with my BOSE Accoustimas 6 speakers.

Purchased At:   Juma Al Majid est, D

Submitted by Calvin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was very happy with this receiver while it was working. However, it blew on me after less than 3 years of occasional use. Does anybody know if Teac has a problem with reliability? Repair guy stopped checking what else needed to be repaired after determining the power supply blew, saying it would be too expensive to fix.

Purchased At:   Costco

Submitted by Bill Schwenke a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was dismayed as an early (OK, not so early) LD collector, that this reciever provided LD owner's with a way to get Dolby D. without springing for Kenwood's earlier price-buster. I wanted it as soon as I got my Elite CLD-59 AC-3 player. I paid not so cheap prices...about $300-350 for each, but seeing as the availibility of either now adays, is seen as something only the "elite" rich folks should get with their A/V components!!!

I've only used the one TEAC, and knew of their solid reputation with professional Tascam recording gear, when most folks, pronouncing it wrong, thought it was furniture or a color/wood! I like my Sony's advanced text based LCD over Teac's, and the fact I got DTS for about the same price, but because of the RF going on new models, I'm more likely to sell the Sony towards an upgrade. These units perform perfectly in my humble opinion. I notice no humming that I see described, but as the nature of digital audio, some recordings hiss when there is no actual audio level (I've noticed while trying to detect descrete audio from my rears. This system DOES NOT require a LOUDNESS boost, but they give ya one anyway!!! It's plenty loud, and that's one of my favorite features, good bass from full range speakers, that I run on all 5 corners!!

If you still have laserdisc like I do, you'll have to do some hunting, but I suspect there are more like mine out there, and for about the cost of a AC-3 demodulator!!

Bill

Purchased At:   J&R Music World N.Y.

Submitted by Colin P a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2000

Bottom Line:
Great product. Picked this bad boy up at onsale.com for $150 US and it kicks some ass. Have almost everything hooked up to it. Computer, playstation (using vid 3 on the front), VHS, CD, and DVD. The dial on the front is great and you just twist it to select your function and then your off.

The remote is a pain and I don't bother using the thing. It serves almost no purpose. That's it.

Purchased At:   www.onsale.com (auction)

Submitted by Joe O a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I compared this unit to ones costing hundreds more and kept coming back to this one. The sound is wonderful! I have not heard any hums that others have complained about. The Dolby Digital is amazing. Who needs to go to the movies and deal with gum on the floor and couples talking about the ending!

The only flaw I have seen is the remote. What good is a "unified" remote if you don't have all Teac products? Manufacturers need to realize that people mix and match products to fit their needs! But you don't buy a receiver based on the remote, you buy it on the sound.

If you are one of those snooty folks who can hear sound > 20Khz, this may not be the unit for you. But for the rest of us who appreciate an easy to use, great sounding unit with Dolby Digital and DTS, all at a good price, this is a great unit!

BLG CP024: