Sony STR-DE845 A/V Receivers

4.16/5 (167 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

Surround Receiver

Submitted by Markus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2011

Bottom Line:
I loved this unit at first, then after about a month, most of the buttons on the front
panel stopped working. The receiver always wanted to cycle through all the listening
modes. I ended up pushing one of the listening mode buttons on the front panel in
and jammed a small piece of paper in there to get it to stay at one mode. I was able
to use the remote to access all the receiver's functions until it also died.

Now the left back surround works intermittently. I thought lose connection, all connections
are tight at both the receiver and speaker. I connected a different receiver to the same setup
and everything works fine. This is the second Sony product that I purchased, and then
months later, died or had major problems. I'll never buy a Sony product again.

Submitted by Derek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver about 10 years ago and have been very happy with it. For the most part of its life it has been used just as a 2 channel reciever. It has plenty of power, I hooked up a pair of JBL cf-120 speakers and also another set of boston acoustics hs 450. I have since used these four plus a definitive center speaker to create my suround sound. At first this receiver was a bit complicated but now I like the way I can fine tune my speakers. The remote is awsome, with the ability to program and control many other components all with one remote.

The only problem that I have had with this receiver is that sometimes the switch between A, B, and A&B speakers doesn't engage. So I have had to press the switch sideways and it normally clicks back on.

With no HDMI I will have to replace this soon :(

The optical inputs work great with blu rays and with all the other imputs I can hook up my ipod or computer.

Submitted by _Tom_ a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this a few years ago as my first audio/video receiver. I'm glad I did, because it's been pretty intuitive as far as setup, and I've had no mechanical problems with it. It has a good sized transformer that will get hot after awhile. The remote is a little funny. I only use it for volume,power,source, and a few other things. The radio sounds good, nice seperation, a dial would be nice though. Also the fm can get kind of staticy once in a while(in a digital sort of way). The phono section is nice to have, and works very well. Right now, I have a dv525 dvd,philips 312 TT and ctf1000 going through it, driving a pair of jbl s312's and s-center(and my tv). I've really enjoyed this receiver and it's paid many times over the inital investment, but I'm still looking forward to what else is out there. Someday, maybe.

Submitted by Pramod a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
It took me a while to get a perfect sound of my Bose Speakers. This is a Excellent Receiver with multiple digital (optical and coaxial) inputs. Excellent Sound Quality and Surround Distribution. I enjoy it completely

Purchased At:   Frys Electronics

Submitted by Full Cleveland a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
Bought this receiver in the spring of '01 for two reasons. First, my old JVC was dying, and second, I wanted to see if the optical input would improve the sound from my Sony 200-CD jukebox, which is pretty sad through the analog outputs.

I selected the Sony partially for remote compatibility with other components, plus what looked like a very cool remote.

I have used this unit only for two-channel stereo, mainly CDs and FM through ads 1290 speakers, which cost over $700 ea in 1986 and are very highly regarded (see reviews on this site).

The first problem I had with this unit is its complexity. It's tough to determine which speaker and input settings work best for plain two-channel stereo, something which should be rather simple. The manual's suggested settings produced a harsh, overly forward sound. Also, you must change tone controls through the equalizer settings, rather than simply adjusting a bass, treble or midrange control. It also was a year before I accidentally discovered how to operate my Sony jukebox from the receiver's remote.

Now the mysterious part. After MUCH experimenting, I discovered input and speaker settings that produced absolutely superb sound, better than anything I've ever heard from my speakers. I thought I'd struck gold, with a $400 receiver that produced sound that was completely satisfactory to my ears. However, my joy was short lived.

For some reason, the sound quality seems to vary randomly over time, without changing the settings. At times, it's fabulous, at times good but lacking bass, and other times muddy and bass-heavy (on the same CDs). Perhaps the amp is going bad prematurely, or maybe there's so much programming in this unit that it gets confused and resets itself.

At any rate, I've decided to invest in a higher end amp, tuner and CD player, since I've had a taste of the sound my speakers are capable of. I'll relegate the Sony to a lower end home theater function, which is what it's really designed for.

I guess you get what you pay for, afterall.

Purchased At:   Circuit City