Sony STR-DE835 A/V Receivers

3.91/5 (177 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

Dolby Digital/DTS AV Receiver

Submitted by dwfree a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
Bought this receiver for ~$400 10 years ago at Best Buy when my Haffler 2 channel gave up its milk after 20 years. It's worked well for the whole 10 years. I will agree the rear channels are weak in power and fidelity, but I didn't know it until I hooked up my new Onkyo SR806 ($1000). Sounds great in 2.1 mode, and will be moving out to the garage to continue duty. All of the sound fields and effects are neat to play with, and quite a bit of EQ adjustment capability. I don't like the flip up remote, in 2 pieces most of the time now, but it still soldiers on. I give it 5 stars for being a good stout soldier all these years. Plenty of relatively clean power (not the headroom or super quiet of the Haffler, but pretty good).

Submitted by Skoogs a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2006

Bottom Line:
Got this puppy mislabeled at a pawn shop. That's an elbow in the ribs for those of you who spent $500 on this thing. Very reliable for me. Never a single issue and I've had it for 6 years. Knock on wood. Great sound quality loud or soft. Some of the effects are cheesy, but still fun to play with. I've used it w/ Infinity's and JBL speakers, so I'm obviously not very wealthy, but this reciever is a terrific piece of equipment geared toward those able to afford decent mid-grade equipment. I have it's little brother as a studio monitoring system, and it's worked fine for 3 years as well. I guess some of these are just hit or miss unfortunately. The EQ takes tweaking to find a sweet spot, and that's always the case with any piece of audio equipment.

Purchased At:   Pawn Shop

Submitted by steamboy 2 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have own this receiver for 5yrs,and never had a single problem with it.It plays great with alot of power & many surround modes. But it does not come with todays Pro LogicII,DD EX,DTS ES just really great 5.1. All the reveiews i have read about popping sounds, overheating,weak rear channels are not the case for me. The surrounds can be enhanced by virtual speaker setting that adds about 3DB'S via cinema studio ex a,b,or c. As far as i can tell i will not buy another receiver untill this thing breaks down,and then i will purchase the king of receivers (for me that is) yamaha.but for now i will con't to enjoy my sony.

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by JoeZ a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is my first Sony receiver unit purchase. Easy to use features, great sound. Terrible reliabilty. Looks like my outputs are blown as well. I bought it off as friend who purchased it new about 3 years ago. I've only had it about 5 months. I was playing a VHS tape on low sound and heard a pop, saw a little flash, and smelled smoke. Now there is no sound output at all, on any channel. This will probably be my last Sony receiver.

Submitted by Maria Czerwinski a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver when my JVC died and couldn't be repaired; wanted a different company since the last one only lasted 3 years. Well, heard the pop, smelled the smoke and 'protect' mode. I might use it one a week! Bummer

Purchased At:   Best Buy