Sony STR-DE325 A/V Receivers

3.56/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $130.00

100W x4 Channels - Dolby Pro Logic - 1998 model

Submitted by mjtab a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2013

Bottom Line:
I got this receiver from a friend who had it in storage for many years, for the purpose of using it in a 2 channel garage system for FM/AM listening. The attractive small size with 100wpc with .09 % distortion make it ideal for this purpose.

It is obvious that the surround sound performance has marched on since the days of early Dolby Pro Logic and I won't comment on this. Fortunately Sony put a front panel switch to turn off the surround and use as a 2 channel stereo receiver and I'm quite impressed with the musical and smooth sound. I was actually expecting a bright shrill sound without body and weight to the music. This receiver has none of this offensive sound.

It is unfortunate for me that the tuner sensitivity is average, but still better than a table radio I was using and better sounding to with my Polk outdoor speakers in the garage. The main fm stations are fine, but the college station 50 miles away is substantial. And am talk radio is pitfall. My experience is that all these budget receivers add a tuner as an after thought.

(For the poster below, any AM loop antenna will work. For FM add a dipole antenna with 'F connector' and plug into the fm connection, or just stick a thin 3' wire into the hole in the F pin connector on the receiver, because this is all Sony supplies with it for fm.)

I'm giving this receiver an average rating, not because of the nice powerful sound in 2 channel, but because a so-so tuner and the obviously dated surround processing. That being said this receiver would make a very nice bedroom system with a cd/dvd player, TV, and two speakers. I'm enjoying listening to fm radio in the garage with a really sweet sound.

Submitted by winnie a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2013

Bottom Line:
the FM/AM statics is very bad, missing the attena. Noone sells exect part anymore, not even Sony. Can I get a compatible one

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought new in 1998. 14 YEARS LATER using almost daily and no issues whatsoever. Great unit for the price and reliability is obvious. Pushing my JBL's sweetly. Highly recommend.

Submitted by yanni a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2011

Bottom Line:
very powerfull
with the right speakers it can be suprising for budget amps.
drives my cerwin vega cls 10 easily.
bass boost is very powerful and no need to use it because the bass response is good without it.
can drive 4 ohm speakers without protection mode.
very reliable!!!
great remote!!!!!!
very good for stereo use this is why i keep it!
excellent value for money.
highs can shouty in very loud volume at times needs an equlizer for best results.
summary:
can drive any speaker
low coast
good for stereo
great remote
reliable like no other

Submitted by eaglette_nz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have had the Sony STR DE325 for a number of years. For a budget priced receiver it has performed well. Has good bass and with 'bass boost' I have not needed a sub.
I have recently upgraded my speaker system from a pair of older B&W Matrix1 (?) front speakers and bottom end Warfdale bookcase rears, (no center) to a pair of B&W 309s as front speakers with a B&W LCR3 as center speaker. The B&W Matrix1's are now the rear speakers. (The 309s are really sweet!) The Sony handles the speakers fine and the bass boost is ok for movies. What it lacks is purity of sound. I hooked my son's Onkyo TX-SR501 amp to my speakers for a comparison. It actually lacked the power and bass response of the Sony but the clarity and purity of sound was remarkably improved. (The B&W speakers also leave the Onyo speakers floundering in their dust! so speakers are a major contributing factor when determining a receiver's potential. If you are comparing receivers you need to hear them operating with the same speaker profile)
I now want to upgrade my receiver to match the speakers and will probably go with a Pioneer VSX-D912 or Onkyo TX-SR601. I have heard both through B&W309s and it's a toss up at the moment. (The reviews on this site are very good for both, so I wont go far wrong with whichever one I choose)

Purchased At:   100%store