Sony STR-DB925 A/V Receivers

4.1/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by Gregoz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit along with Denon 1601, just put them side by side and have comparison. But before I listened to them I noticed the difference in design. Denon is way much better designed with the position of function buttons and colours. Right from the start the sound of Denon is superior. It has crispy deep sound. Sony sounded flat as if it was a cheap stereo with more power added. Returned Sony after a week and am happy with my Denon 1601.

Purchased At:   A&B Sound

Submitted by Stefan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have had my Sony for a year and a half now, and I haven´t been able to figure out why 3 different sets of speakers all sounded harsh and lacked that deep bas response until I switched to my old Denon PMA-720 amplifier. Suddenly all my speakers cleared up and sounded very good! The Sony obviously lacks the power to produce decent sound when listening to CD:s.

When it comes to DVD sound the receiver is quite good, but there´s still something missing. This goes for the 930/940-models as well. Let´s face it: Sony gives you a lot of features at the expense of good sound. The receiver does not produce 5 x 100 watts at 4 ohm, but rather 5 x 85 watts which makes quite a difference.

If I where to buy a new receiver I would take a look at the new Harman Kardon AVR 510 (AVR 5000 in Europe)instead.

Purchased At:   Local dealer

Submitted by Harold Goedhart a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the best receiver in its range. It can drive lots of speakers and. Very pleased with the product!

Purchased At:   Mediamarkt

Submitted by Eivind Bøe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have no intension yet to replace my Sonyreceiver, because it rocks no matter what.

Submitted by Damien a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
This receiver is pretty hard to fault. When I was auditioning receivers, my choice came down to Yamaha and Sony (Onkyos sound thin and lifeless in stereo IMO) I loved both Yamaha and Sony but chose the Sony because it had extensive S-Video connections and banana plug capable binding posts for all speakers. A top unit.

Award-Winning Axiom: