Sony STR-DB830 A/V Receivers

4.49/5 (147 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

100W x5 Channels - Dolby Digital and DTS

Submitted by floatnfly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've owned this receiver since autumn of 1999. Although a few of the other components have changed in that time, I still use the Sony DB830 as the cornerstone of my home theater. Unlike experiences others have had, my receiver has performed flawlessly. I've had input gripes (see weaknesses below) from the beginning and more so since a recent monitor upgrade. I am now faced with replacing my receiver and it looks like it will not be Sony, because of these issues. However, I still have enjoyed this receiver and do not regret my purchase. Lots of bang for the buck.

Purchased At:   onecall.com

Submitted by Roland Hartwig a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
Just to follow up. Fixing the Protector error in London (at a qualified sony service center at Queens Park) cost about £100 ($150). It required replacing four £7 parts (as well as about 8 parts that were free) and about 1.5 hours of labour + tax. Not cheap, but maybe worth it if the fix actually lasts...

Purchased At:   London

Submitted by Punker X a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is my first time reviewing, I just found this site and wish I had known about it along time ago.

I was pretty slow getting into the home theater seen, and was slowly collecting the pieces and parts I needed to make it happen. I was extremely happy with my 2 channel system I was running. I have a beautiful Luxman LV-105 I had hooked up to an old set of Phase Tech PC60 with a PC50 Passive Sub. I picked up a set of Phase Tech PC-3’s for the Mains and Power 10 subwoofer and used those with the Luxman for about a year. I tried in vain to find a matching Phase Tech center at the 50% off price I got the mains and sub for. After a year, I finally broke down and paid retail.

During that year I picked up a 36” Wega XBR, so when I got the center it was time to go receiver shopping. I had originally had my eye set of an ES unit and went to my good friends shop, The Stereo Center in Flint MI. I didn’t do much research and relied on my friend to steer me in the right direction. My first gripe was that the showed me the 930’s remote when I looked at the 830. It was a major disappointment when I got it out of the box. More on the remote later.

At the time he was an ES dealer, and said this DB series were called ES crossovers, that they had them on the bench opened up side by side and all the internal gut of the machine were exactly the same as it’s ES equivalent. The only real difference was that the ES carried a 5-year warranty and the DB series carried only one. That sold me. I brought it home paying $350 and hooked it up in 2 channel for a couple weeks. I had the sub hooked up to the mains with the internal crossover. When installing it I came across another annoyance, there is no optical input for a CD player, so I had to go through the Mini-disc/DAT input.

After a few weeks I went back and got all new interconnects and speaker wire and it was time to get everything working. This ended up costing way more than I was planning because like the great friend that he is my buddy just happen to have 5 SL-7700 DVD players in stock that were recently closed out. I broke down and pick up this great player for $400.

Hooking up the rear channels, using my old PC60/50 combo, I ran into the dreaded overprotection circuit. I had stapled the wire to keep it in place and had accidental hit the wire and shorted it.

Now I ran across the problem with the Sub

Purchased At:   The Stereo Center

Submitted by Larry Mundy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
Just to add my 2 cents' worth to the previous review, as my unit has done the same thing, gone into "PROTECTOR" mode on a permanent basis. I know any remaining examples of this model are probably closeouts at fabulous prices, but I'd be a little concerned about longetivity of this model.
Just for info of anyone else with the same problem, Sony's FAQ's say that "PROTECTOR" mode may be caused by a temporary or correctable short or overheating problem. They recommend (1) disconnecting all speaker connections and (2) unplugging the unit entirely from the wall outlet for 1-2 hours to allow it to "reset," then re-connecting speakers one at a time to see if the unit comes back to life. Didn't work for me. There is no readily-apparent problem with the unit, and even with nothing hooked up whatsoever, it comes on for a couple seconds, the display dims, and then I get the dreaded "PROTECTOR" screen. The FAQs say that if the disconnect-and-pray steps don't work, you should seek Sony service. After the warranty expires, a new receiver may be as cheap as Sony service.
I have used this unit sparingly, never at more than half volume, in a well-ventilated cabinet, and it died in mid-song using the tuner at moderate volume, so there was no real event of abuse to cause the problem. I hae very much enjoyed the sound and input/output flexibility of this receiver, but I'm a little disappointed at its just-past-warranty-expiration failure.
Five-star performance for 2 years. Zero-star performance after that. I'd average that to a "3".

Purchased At:   Onecall.com

Submitted by Roland Hartwig a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
1.5 years after my purchase (and the end of the manufacturer's guarantee) the unit stopped working. The visual display says "PROTECTOR" and the manual states this means that the unit has short circuited.

I have only bought Sony's my whole life, but this is the same error that I had with my previous Sony Receiver/AMP. I thought that upgrading from a $300 model to a $500 model, I would have better circuitry. The previous unit lasted 3 years, before showing the same error.

Purchased At:   London Tottenham Court Road