Sony STR-DA80ES A/V Receivers

4.06/5 (49 Reviews) MSRP : $1200.00

Dolby Digital - 100 watts x 5 channels - 4 composite A/V inputs - 4 s-video inputs - 4 analog audio inputs - 6 digital audio inputs

Submitted by mike kelley a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
I would even pay more for this receiver than i did, ITS THAT NICE, BELIVE ME. If you like good sound, and powerfull sound as well,you will like this. Its kind of expensive, but if your looking to get a high end reciever, for me it would be this one. If your looking to spend a little less, like 200 - 300$ i would go with a yamaha. they wouldnt have as many featers, but you wont get ripped off with the watts, and im sorry to say it but if you went with a cheap sony you wouldnt get the power, unless its an ES reciever like the str-da80es, with an ES reciever you will actually have way more powe than a yamaha. Let me make it easy for you. IF YOUR SPENDING ALOT OF MONEY. GO SONY.
IF YOUR NOT SPENDING ALOT OF MONEY, GO YAMAHA.

Purchased At:   the good guys

Submitted by mike kelley a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
IF YOUR NOT SPENDING ALOT OF MONEY, GO YAMAHA.

Purchased At:   the good guys

Submitted by Andy Kaz a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is one of the better amps I have heard in a few years reciever or not.
I have used the 80es as a Pre-amp and on it's own and have stuck with the internal. Tested against 1. NEW class A amp, Jolida Integrated tube, Harmon Kardon, Denon, etc. The Push pull aspect (same as 9000 series) is the best feature. Associated equipment is Technics new A10 DVD-A player, Kimber PBJ's and VS8 speaker cable. Speakers are the classic Sound Dynamic 300ti's.
I have been playing with multiple Amps, Transports, Dacs, RCA's and even some speakers to reach the audio nirvana we all would like to find. Believe it or not so far I cannot see a more transparent, smooth, detailed sound for less than $6k. Highly recommended for HT processer using Pre-Outs (friend is using as a front end for 2 class A mono blocks to a nice pair of Alon 1's) or on it's own as a true audiophile reciever (if this can ever be said).
On a side note per reading reviews below, My ES HAS DTS. I may have a special model with this feature and the Push Pull amplifier that is no longer in the ES recievers but can only be found in the 9000 series seperate 5 channel Amp.

Purchased At:   Audio King

Submitted by Adam a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
When I first purchased this unit 3 years ago it was state of the art. For those of you who can buy it now for 400-500 dollars - do it!!! This machine is a monster. I love turning it up and shaking the hell out of my floor and walls!!! Although I am going to upgrade soon (Denon?), I still highly recommend this peice. It is PERFECT for a beginner's home theater. I bought the unit in college and I have never had any problems at all.

***A special note
This is directed towards the idiot who posted a review about trying to listen to "concert volume" stereo using the DA-80ES by turning it 3/4 of the way up. NEVER DO THIS, idiot!!! This is a home theater amp - not a DJ amp or a concert amp. There is a BIG difference!!! Why would you subject your home theater equipment to such abuse??? For example, my receiver causes my ears to ring but I never ever turn it past 1 o'clock on the dial!!! (And I have very good speakers!) Of course it won't play at "concert volume"!!! This is also VERY dependent upon your speakers. You have a lot to learn my friend. A lot indeed.

Purchased At:   sound city

Submitted by ac a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
have not finished hooking it up but so far beautiful sound. got it as a display model for 450$
was going for the db 940 for 400 for the es quality could not pass it up beautiful machine , I have a cdp-cx400, and a teac v900 (great machine from 1985 3 head 3 motor, dbx) jvc 4600 s-vhs vcr. will post a review when i get the whole system up.

Purchased At:   j&r music world