Sony STR-DA50ES A/V Receivers

4.14/5 (198 Reviews)

A/V RECEIVER DOLBY DIGITAL & DTS

Submitted by Ron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have had this receiver for 14 years and it still produces outstanding sound quality. I've never had it serviced, and have upgraded the components around it but kept the receiver. The amp doesn't need much more than 1/4 power to get my Definitive speakers to rock concert sound levels. The DSP sound fields are great (live house and arena for rock in particular), especially for watching concerts on DVD. The remote is so-so. While I have had no problems with it, it can be difficult to read in low lighting and is bulky, but does have a lot of flexibility to it. I would have no hesitation to purchase another Sony amp based on my experience with the DA 50ES..

Submitted by pellaeon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I worked at a Sony/Denon/Panasonic dealer when I bought my amp and was able to compare many amps in the comfort of my home. At first I was going to buy a Denon amp (AVR-3300) which is a very capable amp and has also got decent stereo preformance. But when I saw the STR-DA50ES I totally fell for the looks and when I listened to it I was sold! The sound was much smoother then in any other digital amp I had tested previously, tends to be a little harsh. The AVR-3300 was also very good but the thing that made me rather buy the Sony was the remote. From reading the other reviews I can see that many of you don´t like the remote. Some of the earlier models had a bug in the software so that it drained the batteries in a week or so, got a software update for mine and no problem. I use it to control all of the other devices that I have and like it a lot! The Denon remotes are very poorly organized and don´t have backlighting, that is one of the main reasons I didn´t go for a Denon amp.
I have used my amp for at least 12-16 hours a week for over 3 years now without problems, I also sold 3 or 4 amps of the same kind and none of them have malfunctioned.
Sony Quality

Purchased At:   Aco

Submitted by yeron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have the DA50ES for three years in use. It sounds good on DTS with a DVD player, for stereo use the DA 50 gives a bad sound. You have to use the sound field to get a harmonic sound. If you want stereo sound, just add another good amplifier.
The remote control is not practical in use, it simply costs to much time to put the thing on, etc.

Purchased At:   Correct Rotterdam

Submitted by Brad C a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I will have to agree with one of the previous posts. I too have had the same receiver break down on 4 different occasions where the receiver won't turn on. Repairing the receiver to "Factory Specs" is the best that both an outside authorized repair center AND Sony's repair center could do...... So much for the Lemon law. Save your money and don't buy an ES Model.

Purchased At:   Jerry's Audio and Vi

Submitted by Vikesguy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've used this receiver for over three years. At first, I loved everything about it - the sound, the customization abilities (DSP, speaker controls, etc.), the great touchscreen remote, and the variety of I/O for my components. Shortly thereafter, the remote's battery consumption got to me. My retailer didn't support the problem, I reached a couple of dead ends at Sony, and I ultimately just stopped using my home stereo. After about a year of virtual silence, I decided to replace the remote with a Sony multibrand (touchscreen) model that has none of the battery problems and started enjoying the receiver once again. The sound is full (and flexible), movies sound great in all modes, and there is so much to tinker with that listening is fun. I especially appreciate the sound field memory by source so that I don't have to reset my preferences for CD, DVD, and Tuner. I just upgraded from a hodge-podge set of unmatched speakers to a satellite and dual subwoofer system. The passive sub supports the music beautifully while the powered adds punch to the cinema. Years later I still swear by this receiver despite giving up a few features distinct to the original remote. I bought this receiver at a very discounted price. Most retail stores listed it at $999. I found a mail order shop selling for $600 and when they told me the unit was backordered I was able to use my receipt to get the same price locally. I have to admit that feeling like I saved $400 made the remote problems more palatable.

Purchased At:   Local Price Beater R