Sony STR-DA3ES A/V Receivers

4.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $689.00

Sony STR-DA3ES A/V Receiver w/Dolby Digital DTS 6.1-Channel Decoding

Submitted by Tom Kirsch a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased an STR-DA2ES to replace my dead Sony STR-DE915 AV Receiver. This unit much cooler (heat) than my 915. My 915 lasted 5.5 years before the surround speaker amp went out. The repair would have cost $270.00. I learned that Sony no longer sells this model (2ES) on their web site. I was told by the sales rep that the STR-DA2000 will replace it. I chose not to wait. I may have been the last to buy this model. Even so, I bought it for the ES label and the 5 year warantee.

Purchased At:   HomeTheaterPhiles.co

Submitted by Evan Shiver a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am writing this review on the Sony STR-DA2ES here because there was no listing for it. First off i am going to reiterate what most of the other reviews have said, Sony ES brand is awesome. I have always loved sony products because not only does it looks better than the rest but the technology is better than the rest. This reciever is equipt with all the latest technology. Specs. 100w X 6, Dolby Digital EX, Pro-Logic I & II, dts-ES, dts neo:6, dts 96/24 (which is phenominal). The options that make Sony ES recievers better that the rest in my opinion are; 1. the built in pearl configuration Equalizer which allows you to adjust the bass, mid, and trebble over a wide range. If you dont really have a trained ear for music and sound frequency response, it can be frustrating. 2. On-Screen menus, again great when adjusting the EQ. 3. Digital Cinema Sound, this is my personal favorite, sony engineers have captured exact movie theatre sound and stored it in these sound modes. Options in these modes are; Screen Depth levels - which makes you front speakers sound like they are behind a huge theatre screen, Virtual Speaker option - which gives the illusion of multiple side speakers, all of this combined with proper EQ and speaker level and settings you will have almost acurate movie theatre reproduction. My settings are: Cinema Studio EX mode C, Screen depth: (deep), Virtual Speakers (on), Effect at (0), EQ: Front: Bass (+5.0db/444hz) Mid (+8.0db/2.5khz) Trebble (-10.0db/7.2khz) Center is matched with Fronts, Rears Bass (-4.5db/222hz) Trebble (-6.0db/9.4khz) - Levels LFE @ -8.5 to -10.0, (D Range for Dolby Digital STD or 0.7), Surround speaker level at -1.5. This works great for me but I have an appartment size listening zone. My speaker set up is the Mirage Frx-7, Frx-Center, Frx-Rears, No sub yet but the 7's produce enough bass for now, really! My favorite DVD to sample effects from is U-571 in dts(absolutly AWESOME) and Star Wars in Dolby Digital also awesome. The Sound seperation, imaging, all of that is near flawless. For music, Digital Concert Hall modes A @ B are incredible, it will take you out of your living room into an actual hall. The echo effects are perfect, very impressive. The most impressive sound that I have heard this machine reproduce is a dts 96/24 DVD-Audio disc. People,if you have not heard one yet you're sleeping on something amazing. This disc plays at a bitrate of over 1500! most DVD movies have an audio bitrate of 448 DOlby and 768 dts. Its so real it will literally have you looking around. The most important thing I can say is make sure that your surround speakers are not louder than your fronts! They must be balanced! I have my surrounds slightly lower than the fronts to create sound reality. Also try to keep your speaker setup as square as possible. In closing this reciever is great for average homes, includes everything you will need to impress, and more options to get the exact soud you desire; oh and there are 2 other models that have more options and power.

Purchased At:   Online Merchant

Submitted by Jimmymon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
There wasn't a listing for the STR-DA5 ES so I am writing this in the DA3 ES column. I have owned several Sony receivers over the last 25 years- str1000,str g3,strd 2070, strda 30ES, and now the 5ES. I have had it in my system for the last 14 months. There is plenty of power (110w x 6) for music and home theater. This is one sweet receiver. The back is loaded with enough inputs and outputs to accomodate just about any system. This is the most musical receiver from Sony I have had. It has plenty of virtual music and movie modes in addition to the DD/DTS decoding. The Pro-logic II decoding for 2 channel sound is excellent. Three 32-bit processors handle the decoding very nicely. One very nice feature is the removable power cord. I replaced the stock power cord with an Acoustic Zen TsunamiII power cord--the Zen cord raised the performance of the receiver up a few notches. It was nice before, but now this boy can rock with receivers that cost quite a bit more. Music is downright sweet, yet authoritative, but not fatiguing. DD and DTS soundtracks flat-out scream with power and detail, very involving sound. Rather than list all the features and bells and whistles on the unit, I have chosen to write about the performance of the 5ES. This receiver easily satisfies the requirements for home theater and music. As all the units listed above are still working, I am confident that this powerhouse will be taking care of business for the next 10 to 15 years. Great job--Sony. JL.

Purchased At:   The Little Guys

Submitted by thomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
Upgraded the STR DA3ES from the STR 940 which won the What is HiFi receiver of the year in 2000? There is a huge different in quality of built from the ES series line of Sony. Sounding is improved dramatically as well. I can't stress enough about the built this receiver. I don't think you can do better with the money especially with the street prices on this unit. Two channel sounds awesome, not to mention the suround sound field. The remote is one of the best I had. Great product. If you can afford the ES series, spend the extra money with better built parts as shown that the DA3ES weight 50lbs!

Purchased At:   Brandname