Sony STR-DA333ES
Description: SONY'S newest entry level AV 24-bit Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Pro Logic Decoder - 32-bit DSP Engine for Digital Cinema Sound - 80w x 5(8 ohms)

Submitted by Caleb a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
I heard a quote once.... "Your system will come to life with this product."
I MUST say that that quote perfectly describes this product. I was using just pro-logic for a while until I decided to go for 5.1 and WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT MADE! I LOVE IT! In fact I can't get enough of it.... Great for movies or music.... I am a tech geek and I love the remote however I know that not all people are very good with technology.... PLEASE NOTE THAT IF YOU ARE NOT A TECHNOLOGY PERSON YOU SHOULD STRONGLY CONSIDER GETTING A SIMPLE PRODUCT AND NOT THIS ONE!!

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by 1bad70nova a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
At first had some problems with the unit, but cracked it open to find out that it was the volume control connector. Anyway, it is MUCH better that the previous Sony equipment that I had. The highs are a bit clearer, bass tighter, and vocals more audible on movies. Music is better defined with details uncovered that I didn't notice before.

I'm not one of those sorry tweekers or audiofiles that think they can hear every detail with XYZ cables or speakerwires, I just know what I hear and this is better than what I had before.

I have a Sony DVP-S300 DVD player (Which is one of the best ever) running through Boston Acoustics CR7's bookshelfs and CRC center with a PV-1000 sub and it simply sounds great. I thought at first it would be low on power being that it is 80x5, but trust me it is more than enough for any medium or small room!

I would recomend this receiver to anyone with the hope of having something that is closer to the upper-end of mass produced equipment.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Rich a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
I decided to upgrade to 5.1 sound, and found a used DA333 for $400 shipped. Tough choice btwn that and $600 for a new V333, but hey, I'm cheap. I bought my pro-logic Sherwood receiver 5 yrs ago mainly since it has pre-amp outs, so I could hook up my Hafler amps (driving M&K S80 speakers). Sounded fine in Stereo but would not reliably decode pro-logic.

The new DA333 decodes everything superbly; stereo, p-logic, DD, etc. Love the way it displays the sound mode in use. I still need to upgrade my speakers (building subs, will buy M&K S-85 and S-85C, then move the S-80s to the rear.) So the systems not perfect yet, but I am already very happy.

I wanted to comment on the video bus. As mentioned in an earlier review, the S-video and composite video busses (both in and out) are not connected. I solved the issue by using an rca-to-svideo cable (from svideotorca.com) for my VCR so now everything is on the s-video bus. Surprised me, but it works great.

After adding the DA333 and a DVD, it will be a month or two until I can afford the 3-set of M&K S85's but I'm going out to the shed right now to finish the subwoofers. Can't wait to get the system complete and have a good listen.

Submitted by Hank a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
First of all, my brother upgraded his system and he sold me his 333; he is somewhat of an audiophile and upgrades quite often. The price though did not include the remote or manuals as these were lost.

Still learning to use the system but without the manual, its somewhat difficult. If anyone has the manual online, please email me. I had a Sony STR-945 previously so the functionality and remote were all familiar.

I have the Energy Take 5's (8" subwoofer) with the 333 and they sound very crisp. As these speaker are not high-end, they are more adequate for my tastes are definitely the weakest link in my system.

I have since gotten a replacement remote and it seems to work well with all my Sony components. I also have a 560DVD and 335 CD changer along with a 53HS10 (HDTV).

All in all a great system for my needs. If I had to pay retail, it would have certainly been out of my price range.

Again, if someone has the manual, I would really appreciate an online version if someone has one available.

Purchased At:   Received from brother

Submitted by Brad a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought this unit on Saturday the 25th of November. Hooked everything up, powered up and NOTHING. No sound and whenever I hit a button on the receiver the "mute" light would flash repeatedly. Checked all of the connections, called the dealer and explained what was happening. Obviously I took it back and got a second unit thinking I just got a dog.

Hooked up the second unit, everything worked fine, watched a dvd. No problem until Sunday the 26th. Powered up and NOTHING. A message scrolled across the receiver that said something to the effect of "please shut down the component".

Needless to say I took it back and did not get a 3rd unit. My receiver is on whenever my TV is on so I need a strong receiver. So I bought the Yamaha RX-V1000 which worked from the minute I turned on the power. Sounds great, has some decent functions (though no adjustable crossover) and it WORKS! I am so disapointed in Sony. I have been a huge fan of their ES equipment. My DA50ES works great less the piece of dirt remote. Based on my experiences and others who have posted here Sony really needs to take a look at their Quality Control!

Purchased At:   Sony dealer