Sherwood Newcastle RVD-8090R A/V Receivers

4.12/5 (41 Reviews)

Audio/Video Receiver - Dolby Digital/Dolby Pro Logic/DTS - 100 Watts x 5 Channels - 2 Optical & 2 Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs

Submitted by Brieva a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I´ve bought my sherwood three years ago when my budget was very limited, I was quite happy with its perfomance while watching movies but when it started to deal with music in stereo mode I was quite disappointed....

Submitted by Aaron D a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this to bring me into the DD/DTS "era" just after I bought my DVD player, so the mere excitement of finally getting has kept me satisfied.

This thing is great for watching movies. Since this is my first DD/DTS receiver, I can't compare it to anything else, but I love the explosions, separation, surround effects, etc. that this receiver delivers. It was a little tricky to set up and calibrate for me, but it was worth the effort.

The problem is listening to music (2 ch stuff). I don't have much of a standard of reference aside from the occasional audition at a dealer, but my old DPL receiver had much better soundstaging, imaging, and bass. Overall, the Pioneer was a more engrossing listening experience than this is.

I find that living with this for over a year hasn't changed my opinion of it much. It struggles to deliver believable music performances, but its reproduction of movies is very good.

(The only other problem is that when I added a subwoofer, I found that the preamp outputs weren't working, but it might have been my fault by shorting them with a bad cable. I think it is repairable.)

Bottom line is: Buy this if you are new and don't have much money to spend. Otherwise, I would save a little more money and buy something you really want.

I give it 5 stars for value (unbeatable in this respect), but only 3 stars for overall performance as the lack of good music reproduction has been killing me.

Purchased At:   uBid

Submitted by Ryan Vogels a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome receiver for someone that is just starting out in home theater. Also good for budget oriented people. Dispite all of the weekness that I stated I still like the receiver very much. (How much can you ask for out of a receiver that costs on $200.00)

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by Brett Love a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
If you want excellent sound for a very good price this receiver is what you need!! For the price of this receiver, you get the same audio quality and features that you would excpect from a higher priced receiver. The features of this receiver are just as good as any other brand name receiver!! I really like when you switch to another input device the sound level switches to a different level!! If you want a good home theatre system I would recommend this unit!!

Purchased At:   Ebay (Factory Sealed Unit)

Submitted by Brett Love a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2001

Bottom Line:

Purchased At:   Ebay (Factory Sealed Unit)

Wood Technology: