Sherwood Newcastle RV-5050R A/V Receivers

4.43/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

Submitted by picsob a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
Price/purchase as part of HTS500 package (rcvr, 5 CD changer, 5 surr speakers and 80W sub). Great value, troublefree, gotten my money's worth. trying to find comparable system to replace with support for DTS, EX, etc.

Purchased At:   regional audio/compu

Submitted by Greg W a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
This has been a great Pro Logic receiver, like others have said lacks DTS et al, but, for what it is its great. It got replaced by a Sony STRDE585 but now sits proudly on my computer - running 2 Wharfedale Diamond 7 bookshelfs and a set of DTX surround speakers. More than adequate for the computer!

Purchased At:   Brashes Megastore

Submitted by SHANNON FOALE a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'VE HAD THIS PRODUCT FOR 5 YEARS NOW AND I MUST STAY IT IS PRETTY GOOD FOR JUST A PRO LOGIC SYSTEM I HAVE JUST REPLACED IT FOR A YAMAHA RX-V 800 BUT I STILL USE THE SHERWOOD FOR MY COMPUTER. I USED TO HAVE THE SHERWOOD HOOKED UP TO MY YAMAHA NS A 2835 SPEAKERS RATED 160 RMS AND THEY PLAYED PRETTY LOUD AND BASSY AND A SHERWOOD CENTRE SPEAKER AND SOME AKAI SPEAKERS OFF A STERO SYSTEM THAT I USE TO HAVE.

Purchased At:   TRUSCOTTS

Submitted by Michael a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
Well it is an all around good unit i picked it up around 5 or 6 years ago and was lacking in the financial department. I went to a liquidation sale some no name cheepie store was going to close so i thought what the heck. So I went and was in the mood for a system.... this was to be my first system so i was thinking of spending around 300 or 400 hundred dollars total for receiver and 5 speakers, and a sub. Well needless to say I was well over budget... to make a long story short this fit into my price range for my receiver i listened to it at the store and at the time thought it was the best i had ever heard. But hey i was young i couldn't tell the difference. I remeber thinking someone would have to be crazy to spend 2000 dollars on a receiver alone. Well a couple weeks ago I went crazy and lost my mind. However, to this date i still use the Sherwood as great little addition to my bar area...(to play CD's and listen to games with)

Its a great Receiver for the price, if your on a budget and you don't reallyy need DTS, or THX.

Not outstanding compared to others but, the best i could find for the price.

Purchased At:   A close out liquidator

Submitted by Tom Hunt a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
This is a nice Pro Logic unit. I have just up graded to DTS and Dolby Digital, but will keep this for a CD source in the basement. The remote is fine, has sub out, good power... A trouble free unit for the past couple of years. Bought it from Damark in 12/97 for $135.00. Just replaced the unit with a JVC 888 for $500.00 and the JVC couldn't touch the Sherwood. Replaced the JVC with an Onkyo 777 for $750. very nice.

Sennheiser: