Sherwood Newcastle R-945 A/V Receivers

4.26/5 (46 Reviews) MSRP : $1300.00

Submitted by Andrew Kohsky a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought the Sherwood Newcastle R945 MK 2 which is another 25watts more total 125wpc for 5 channels.before buying a receiver ,i made alot of listening from Denon,Sony,Marantz and with price higher than the 945 mk2 and is not satisfied with the movie sound.
It does not had the movie sound from my r945 mk2 which had real slammed and solid bass weight and sound separation is excellent and clean.Dialoge is trimmed and croaky realism and for detail i was satisfied with it.low extended bass is clean as well.
It handle very well with pro logic,DD and DTS as menstion from above.Action movies,music
dvd all sounded awesome.
Besides all this ,sherwood operation and features is simple and does not have the unnessary features like Denon or Yamaha and also complicated to set up.
For 2 channels steroe ,i agree with some reviewer that music from cd or tape don"t sound good as compare to Marantz and Yamaha,but then i bought this recevier was purely for action and music movies only.Still keeping this receiver now, cause is hard to find another receiver as good as Sherwood Newcastle r945 mk 2.Hope Sherwood will make a come back.

My system:
Sony BDP s370
sherwood newcastles r945 mk2
B&W CDMC center spk.
CHARIO HIPER 1000 L/R spk
MONITOR AUDIO RADIUS 90 rear spk.
VELODYNE CT120 SUBWOOFER
VAN DEN HUL cable.(clearwater)
monster subwoofer cable and coaxial.

Submitted by Dunkin McDonuts a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
The 945 was the first DTS reciever in the US for under $1500. I bought it without doing the research or holding out until the Sony's of the world moved the new technology into the stores. The 945 lacks many of the features found on less expensive models in the Sony and Yamaha lines. The sound is OK but if you use a DTS setup CD you'll find that it cannot produce at the lower ends of the sound spectrum. I'm buying a Onkyo DS989.

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by Matthew Siow a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
Back in 1999, when I was bitten by the Hi-Fi and Home Theatre bug (well I still am), I wondered into Audio Connection, a reputable Hi-Fi shop in beautiful Sydney, Australia.

I had intended to buy an Onkyo DVD player and Dolby Digital receiver because they looked so good in Gold together. I was also set on the Axis brand of loudspeakers, especially the front stereo pair LS88 model. I had read very good reviews of the LS88 even way back in Singapore before I migrated to Australia.

It so happen that Audio Connection sells the Axis speakers range. I asked the shop assistant to demo the Onkyo and Axis combinations for me. I had brought along a favourite CD, the 'Mighty Sam McClain - Give It Up To Love'on JVC extended recording. To my untrained ears, the music sounded thin and without warm. I was unimpressed. My hopes were dashed. The Onkyo receiver was not up to the task. The dealer suggested the Onkyo 939 model but that was beyond my budget. Then I saw the solitary Sherwood model being advertised for a bargain A$1600 from $A2200. It looked good but Sherwood didn't sound like a good Hi-Fi brand. The dealer then showed me a copy of the Stereophile Guide to Home Theatre, where the Sherwood Newcastle 945 was awarded the best budget receiver for Home Theatre. My interest being aroused, I ask for a demo with the same Axis speakers. I found my feet tapping in time to Sam McClain. The music was now more full bodied and it sounded good. Very good indeed. I was afraid though that the Axis LS88 being 4 ohms might be a difficult load for the Sherwood but because I like the sound so much I bought the Sherwood, Onkyo DVD player and the Axis speakers (front floor standers, centre channel and rear speakers. I also bought the Definitive Technology PF12 subwoofer.

It's been 3 years now. I still enjoy my Home Theatre system. In fact I prefer to listen to music. The Sherwood is still driving the Axis beautifully. That sums up my feelings about the Sherwood. If you're prejudiced about the name, then you miss out on a sweet sounding receiver.

Purchased At:   Audio Connection

Submitted by Michael a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
Not a bad amp for the price, Sounds good. Looks good. Only problem is it lacks loudness. I prefer my Yamaha. For all you fans of Sherwood Newcastle, they no longer exist, factory closed in 97, never mind

Purchased At:   Sherwood, Newcastle, UK

Submitted by Todd W a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
Overall I have been very happy with this amp. I have run my 945 for hours every day for over two years and it sounds great and has had no problems. For the money it cant be beat. The amp is a little weak for loud listening levels, but it works well as a pre amp. The fit and finish on this unit is top notch. The remote has alot of nice features if you can figure out how to use them. If you want a well built receiver with great sound buy one. If you want a fancy name to show off to your friends buy something else.

Purchased At:   Ebay