ROTEL RSX-972 A/V Receivers

4.55/5 (22 Reviews) MSRP : $1300.00

DIGITAL SURROUND RECEIVER

Submitted by Frank K a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2007

Bottom Line:
Unbelievable, the more I listen to this amp, the sweeter the sound. I have had many configurations in the past: Linn Sondek table, Belles amp, NAD amp, B&W spkrs, Accusound spkrs, B&O table...you get the picture!!

I began my Surround Sound journey by looking to add to my B&W DM620i's. I discovered Monitor Audio & was heartily impressed. I use the Silver 5's for my fronts. My room is 11x17 feet. I was going to use the matching Monitor Audio spkrs for the rest of the surround sound experience but I decided to wait & just enjoy the Silver 5's for 2 channel audio. I relistened to over 100 albums, er CD's. Alas, I had to sell my Linn, I couldn't afford the new cartridge relacement, over $800.

I had luck on my side when I walked into Brack's. They showed me the new Rotel amp1065, what a thing of beauty. Again, I was impressed with the sound that was emanating from the B&W's. I didn't want to spend 3G's on an amp, have wife!! Sales guy showed me discontinued Rotel RSX972 & explained that the Surround Sound Processor was the same as the one in the stand alone unit that sold for $2000. Ok, how much is the Rotel 972...$1000. DEAL!!

The sales guy kept saying that this was one sweet amp. Boy was he right. I finished off my system with Klipsch rears & sub KSW 12 and an Epson 550 projector with a Draper screen. Don't cheap out on cables. For the spkrs, you don't have to get the 99% oxygen free copper made in Japan, just get the good copper, usually $1 to $3 per foot will do. Unless you're running over 100 feet of cable, then you'll need better.

The sound is full, uncolored with just the right depth. Ofcourse, you will have to tweak to your liking. Everything is set to flat. Is there enough power from the 70 watts? You betcha and then some.

In the past month I've watched Pirates of the Caribbean, Braveheart, Matrix, Lord of the Ring (X3), Jurassic Park, etc. What a great viewing experience.

You get a lighted remote that can control your toaster, well just about. The remote is a little large but that's because you can do so much with it. You will have great memories with this one. It looks pretty cool too. No unnecessary buttons on the front panel.

Cheers, enjoy!!

Purchased At:   Brack Electronics

Submitted by jrhymeammo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
I have been enjoying this receiver for over 4 years now, and I still have another year of warranty!! I'm not concerned with the warranty since this unit has been very solid.

In prior to purchasing this unit, I auditioned Denon 3803 and 4803. These units had much more unless functions, but why pay for it if you rarely use them. To my ears, 3803 was just a junk. I say this because, my salesman was nice enough to place receivers side by side under the same condition. While 4803 was close to the Rotel, I found Rotel to be much warmer. But, by no means, this unit shouldn't be compared to tube units.

Since my primary concern is 2 channel audio, I've been tempted to sell this unit for an integrated amp. Yet, the performance of this unit has kept me from a new purchase. I do wish that I could bridge the other 3 channels that I'm not using to the Front L/R channels.
I just don't think there is such thing as too much power :).

Purchased At:   Mr. Toads

Submitted by vince404 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
A. You can't miss the beuty of the finished design.
B. By technology - Two steps ahead every other product.
C. I'm in Love.

Purchased At:   Israel

Submitted by arf005 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
Upgraded to this model and got a deal when buying the Rotel RDV-995 as well.
Combined with my B&W CM series speakers this is an impressive package for home theatre, and stereo audio. CM4 fronts, CMC centre and 601 S2's as rears creates a balanced soundstage.
The amp has serious power for it's price and as usual with Rotel quality internals. This becomes more apparent when you turn the volume up! The B&W's sound better at higher volumes and can really blow you away. Music dvd's especially sound great, but even in stereo with cd's the amp has pace and presence.
For the price I don't think anything can touch it. Yes, there are more powerful amps, and yes there are 6 and 7.1 channels out there, but do we really need them....
Forget the DSP modes, we really don't need them!
For Dolby Stereo, Dolby Digital, and DTS this receiver has serious power to impress. I would recommend it to anyone, and if they aren't convinced I'd have them come round for a listen!

Purchased At:   Sounds Perfect (Dund

Submitted by Kihsom a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
My view may be skewed in favor of this product as I was replacing a 10 year old Yamaka AV-55, however to be fair, I sampled several systems (NAD, Sony, Onkyo...) prior to commiting to this product. The level of detail, spatial quality, and smooth delivery of the sound brings movies and music to life almost effortlessly. For the price, I don't think I could've have done better.

I have it connected to the KEF KHT 2005 speaker system, and the DVD player is the Sony DVP NS900V.

Purchased At:   Ebay