Pioneer VSX-D411 Audio/Video Receiver

Submitted by old guye a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2013

Bottom Line:
originally purchased as a cheap way to get sound in my living room.,,As I would eventually discover, CHEAP is the operative word here. Weak,flabby mids...flat soundstage,low-end is almost missing,highs are 'shrill' at best.-unable to drive 90db mains to reasonable levels! Cant even drive my 93db speakers to decent levels.--claimed 100/wpc is a flat-out LIE! --my guess would put this unit at 40-maybe 45-wpc. AT THE MOST!--cant bring myself to honestly 'sell' it,so it now takes up residence in a bedroom struggling to drive some VERY efficient decent speakers. NOT one of Pioneer's finest.

Submitted by Beccah a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver used, about six years ago, used it daily with my turntables and keyboard, took it to parties, moved to 3 different states with it, had it in storage, had it in the garage, used it outside, its been exposed to dust, dirt and moisture and it STILL works as perfectly as the day i bought it! this thing is a beast!

Submitted by recoveryone a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I brought this unit as an upgrade to my bedroom system VSX D309, just wanted a little more power per channel. This unit is about the same as the 309 in setup. the only difference is the addition of Dolby Prologic II and the station naming (nice touch). Just as I reviewed the VSX D309 as great starter surround unit I can say the same for this puppy. Has just enough inputs to get a beginner on their way. No S-video or componets, but we are talking starter system here. I guess the new trend for Pioneer is the Blue readout, I perferred the old amber, but thats just me. You can pick one of these up at a good deal on many web sites some under $100.

Submitted by bogel a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2003

Bottom Line:
Good for watching movie DD/DTS.

Purchased At:   bestbuy

Submitted by Ed a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was looking to get into home theater, but didn't want to spend alot of cash. I was under the impression that I still would end up spending at least $300-400 for a decent sounding receiver. Most likely an entry level Denon. (I have a Denon 2 channel system.) I checked out other receivers at the $200-300 range and wasn't impressed with their sound. I got it home and hooked it up to my Polk Audio speakers. What followed SHOCKED me. I was very impressed with this little receiver. The sound is remarkable clean and detailed, and remarkable accurate. I run the "Tone" controls to neutral, with no emphasis to either direction. The receiver has sufficient power to handle the demanding explosions or "rumbles" with authority and accuracy. Never seems to run out of power, or headroom.
In two channel stereo, it does suprisingly well. It is a little weak in in the mids, but nothing objectionable. It images faily well, and again, has sufficient power to handle the complex passages very well. No un-nautural coloring to the sound.
True, it is limited to it's hookup's, it has no S-audio, but has plenty enough for the majority of people.
When you consider the VALUE of this little reciever, I challenge you to find a better sounding receiver for anywhere near the price range. I believe you will have to spend a great deal more to find similiar sound.

Purchased At:   Circuit City