Pioneer VSX-d3s A/V Receivers

4.2/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $1920.00

Submitted by Alex a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
Sound is very clear and crisp. When using the two channel stereo mode, the receiver provides 2 x 130w to power up my AR 303 12" woofer speakers without any problem. When watching movies, I enjoy the 5.1 channel surround sound that the receiver offers. I heard my friend's Sony DB940 and Kenwood 6070, and I think they are loud without the crispness of my D3S. I think that in terms of sound quality, the D3S can still compete with many much newer, high grade receivers that are on the market.

Purchased At:   local audio store

Submitted by The Goblin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have enjoyed some moments of AC3 brilliance with this unit in the past, but half way through Star Wars, a bang was heard, and now there's no sound from the centre or rear channels. It's a stereo amp with a tuner. I am grateful - it's solved the problem of wanting to buy a new system. I am glad to be rid of this poxy looking, unfriendly, bad sounding piece of rubbish. Going back to my old Marantz EC/MM500, even though only pro-logic, is a VAST improvement!

Submitted by Matt Hayden a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
Pioneer D3S,Multi voltage
100 watts a channel,Dolby Digital (AC3) ISC and GUI.
In 1995 when this product hit the shelf it changed the way we listened to movies for ever! The days of prologic just were not going to last.
Sucking no less than 1175 watts from the wall , the D3S was and is still a beast with LFE boosting and power on tap.
Even in two channel this product sounded smooth with the added "direct" feature for 2 channel as a bonus.The easy to use GUI setup was and still is great to use.With careful speaker partnering and the right interconnects you can get this thing to sound amazing! The AC3 bitstreem cable is a great place to start if you want to change the dynamics and sound.It really is plug and play.As with all Audio product's good speaker cable is a must.The downside to the D3S is no Dts witch can be fixed thanks to MSB Technologies and there fantastis DTS upgrade board!The D3S with DTS is nothing less than simply amazing!
6 years later there is still no excuse to upgrade! Video switching can be a little annoying at times with limited S-Video connections, but is all worth it in the long run for the sound is the primary concern.I would recommend this product with no hesitation! Happy Listening!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by natasha a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
After 4 years of usage, still a great sounding receiver. Has had no problem driving my Mirage M5si speakers, and now Axiom M80Ti. Great sound. Though an older unit offers a great buy. At the time it was their top of the line receiver. I'm looking for another unit used to get for my father.

Purchased At:   A&B Sound

Submitted by Mick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
This item is for sale. contact me at mailto:mick@raredogs.com and make me a offer

Purchased At:   6 th ave