Pioneer VSX-53 A/V Receivers

4.86/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $748.00

• Motorola DSP (Dual)
  • Air Studios Certification
  • Mosfet Amplifiers 3-D space frame construction
  • Extra large extruded aluminum heat sink
  • A frame reinforced isolated chamber
  • Single and double layered transformer stabilizer
  • Gold insulator
  • Aluminum front panel

Submitted by SSaull a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
Just swapped a Yamaha RX-V1400 that I purchased 4 months ago for this receiver. The 53 has the detail of Yamaha, the warmth of Denon, and better multichannel audio than either of the others. This thing is gutsy, warm, and detailed. Sounds beautiful with anything I play through it. Got this on closeout; had DPLIIx on Yamaha, didn't see any need for it. It didn't float my boat.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by ciscokid1970 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
As you see I have already reviewed this product before but I have to add some further comments on this awsome piece of equipment.

As I have said before:
-The sound is great, full, warm, detailed with excelent dynamic range.
-The microphone auto speaker cal works so well you will wonder how you lived without it.
-Receiver is very easy to operate and the on screen display is straightforward.
-NO built in fans to make noise or break down, just good old fashioned heavy heatsinks. (although I have a cooling system in my rack)
-Looks good not that it really matters to me (I care more about the sound and functions).
-THX ULTRA for under $700 !!!!

But here are the new surprises.
-Tuner is excelent, good sensitivity, very easy to use, has custom labels you can name them anything you want up to 4 characters. And you can associate any listening enviroment to each station...cool.

-Noise reduction this receiver went the extra mile in offering Dolby noise reduction on ANY input, not just selected inputs. With the push of a button you can apply(or not) to vcr, radio, old tape player or record player and works great.

-But the most pleasant surprise has to be the REMOTE, it is easy to use, easy to program and can LEARN. This is the first Reciever I have ever used where the remote was good enough to be the MASTER REMOTE. That is right you will not need a universal remote this baby does it all, the only thing it is missing is backlighting....and replacement only costs $50.

Purchased At:   epinions.com

Submitted by ciscokid1970 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a receiver to replace my old Sony 555 ES (it was nice just time for a change). I went shopping for units that can be had for about $700 street price. I purchased all of the following models (and of course returned 3 of them when I was done)
Denon AVR-2804
Marantz SR6400
Yamaha rx-v1400
Pioneer Elite vsx-53tx
first of all there is not a looser since all were good.
Only the Yamaha and Pioneer had the microphone autocal system which is very very nice espceically if you have strange room and or non-matching speakers.
My review is based upon my ears and test specs from related products tested in various magazines such as Ultimate AV, Sound and Vision and Hometheater Mag (I subscribe to all 3).
My room is 20ft x 20ft with 10ft ceiling and I am running NHT in-ceiling speakers so I need plenty of amp to make them sing. The Pioneer Elite boasts 100W per channel and I must say they were honest about it because it is not lacking in juice and remains smooth and clean at ear-busting levels.
The construction is heavy duty and I love that it is fan-free. The unit and remote are easy to use.

I am a little disapointed that the review before mine tried to compare this to seperates. First of all nothing compares to seperates but you can not find Hometheater seperates for $650 and if you did they would not have any of the features or conveniance of this Pioneer unit. But I can tell you that you will not find a better value/performer in this price range.

I stayed with the Pioneer Elite VSX-53tx.

Purchased At:   epinions

Submitted by Overkill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
The Pioneer VSX 53 is an impressive beast. Pioneer went the extra to distance to make this receiver; the polished face is incredible and even its appearance speaks of much detail and thought.

Of course learning to use this thing is hard. Even after reading the manual I sometimes found myself struggling to do basic things such as activate surround mode or turn on the speakers. In fact the VSX-53 reminds me of computer in terms of complexity and functionality; yes it can do that much and yes it can be difficult to use.

As an A/V receiver the VSX isn't bad at all. It doesn't have the power or resolution to go head to head with stand alone separates but does an excellent job nonetheless.

The VSX-53's main strength is its surround sound processing capabilties. As a preamplifier the VSX-53 only needs a set of high powered amps to shine. With its upsampling capabilities and dual 48 bit DSP's the VSX 53 is a surround processor par excellance. Details abound whether you're watching the Matrix ; HEAT or The Eagles.

As a stereo amplifier the VSX-53 isn't bad by any means; a solid stereo preamplifier.

With so many options and surround modes the VSX-53 is perfect for the "tweaker" type audiophile whether its being used as receiver or a preamp. However the VSX 53 needs a set of high powered amplifiers to shine and show what it can really do.

Submitted by ergosum a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have been a two channel fan for a long time, decided to make the jump into HT. after quite a lot of research, but limited auditioning, I decided to purchase this unit. All in all, I am very pleased with the performance, particularly for the price range. (Dirt cheap on etronics, and with excellent service) Set up is straightfoward, and speaker calibration is astonishingly easy.

I am driving Athena AS-F2s for mains (cannot say enough good things about this lovely speaker), an Athena AS-C1 center, and well-seasoned Celestion 5mkIIs in the rear channels. After a few days, used the main pre-outs to use an Adcom GFA-5400 to drive the mains.

Movie playback is spectacular. Using an X-Box for a source (not the greatest DVD player, but bulletproof). Engaging, fast, articulate, and dynamic. Even without a sub, bullets shake the floor and breaking glass feels like it should. Voice is natural and well placed.

Music playback is also wonderful. However, When I first played newer CD's, such as John Eddie's "Who the Hell is John Eddie" and Emmylou Harris' "Red Dirt Girl," I carefully looked for the "crap" button on the remote, so that I could turn it off. The sound was just terrible. After a few days of worrying about it, I hooked up the digital out from the CD player as well as the analog outs. For some reason this fixed the problem. Joni Mitchell's "Blue" sounds better than I have ever heard it. I have played everything from Miles Davis to Ravel to Judas Priest's classic Freewheel Burning, It all sounds fantastic.

Keep in mind, with the speakers, this is a sub $2000 system. It is not going to sound as good as uber audiophile grade electronics. However, it is an excellent value and does everything it should do, and doesn't do anything wrong.

Purchased At:   eTronics.com