Pioneer VSX-505S A/V Receivers

3.6/5 (42 Reviews) MSRP : $465.00

4 channels, Dolby Pro-Logic, 135 x 3 (front, center, 135 + 1 (rear)

Submitted by Wesley Smith a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2013

Bottom Line:
I think the majority of the reviews here are dishonest and/or by people who have no experience in high quality home audio. This receiver does have good power yet that is where the benefits begin and end. The surround sound is absolutely terrible. The best way I can describe the problem is to say it will suddenly play a sound meant for the front or surround channels too loudly and it always plays the other channels at a level much higher than the center. Unless you plan on running this amp for stereo only, junk it in favor of a Yamaha receiver. I have owned many Yamaha receivers in my lifetime and from 1994 to today I have yet to ever own a Yamaha that doesn't embarrass this receiver. Stay far away!

Submitted by Alejandro a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2013

Bottom Line:
The best still in 2012 for the money. Better than 2k systems. I have new speakers that push it nice.

Submitted by tommye a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
Paid about $495 back in 1996

The best receiver I have ever owned period Sounds great with my Pioneer tower speakers. Try listening to Rush on a bookshelf system. It is not the same these old school speakers with this Pioneer VSX-505S rocks

Submitted by omega15` a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
I got this unit brand new I've had it for years repaired twice but with that said I just love it compared in 2009. you cannot find this can of power in a a/v rec. today for the kind of money this was purchase. I have a 5.1 speaker config : BIC DV62si bookshelf speakers for front;BIC DV52 series rear;DV62CLR-S center and the V1520 sub. the sound is just freakin great :) I have the sound I want !

Submitted by Brady Morgan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
I own the Radio Shack version of the Pioneer VSX-505 (Optimus STAV-3590) There are a few more minor differences from the pioneer than the optimus, which aren't much. It has a clean 150w*2 at 8ohms from 20hz-20khz @.09%THD stereo mode or135w*4 in Dolby Pro. I push 4 15" 3way speakers for my a@b front mains, and the LX5's with the 360 degree Linaeum tweeters for surround and the matching center channel. I have owned this reciever for almost 3 years and am very satisfied with it's performance. I do have one complaint. That it should have a little better tone control. The Bass knob boosts at 150hz which sucks. It doesn't have Dsp, but I feel that it is cleaner than the ones that do. I know it isn't an Adcom but for the doller you cannot beat it. A pritty good design.

Purchased At:   Radio Shack