Pioneer VSX-455 A/V Receivers

3.8/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $119.00

Submitted by Karl a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2006

Bottom Line:
the VSX-455 has been a great amp. Nowdays its basically used 90% of the time for TV and watching movies. I live in Australia which explains the higher price.

Its about 10 years old now and going well. I got sick of the hum so I disconnected the internal fan about 4 years ago. On hot days it sometimes turns itself off.

I run two Bose 501 speakers and a Yamaha sub woofer and the sound is fine for me. It sounds better than many surround sound setups which I have heard in the last few years.

I lost the remote a few years ago but am now using a Harmony 520 universal remote. It works great.

I often think if I bought a computer in 1996 it would be a piece of rubbish now. However the money I spent on my audio equipment in 96 is still working for me.

Purchased At:   1996

Submitted by jesse a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
Overall for the price of this amp im quite happy with the proformance in power and in sound though the amp is now a bit out of date agains the new market.

Submitted by killerbeez a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
this system is good for home theatre and music it seems to have a fair amount of power for what it is. but if anyone knows how much power this unit is per channel or the max impedance load I ask you please email me at killerbeez187@hotmail.com

Purchased At:   voth's audio

Submitted by JAMS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
I think, that we need to consider the price of a unit and then set the expectations. The performance of this rcvr is quite nice if you are a regular listener. If you are a "audiophile" you should not be looking a 200 bucks unit.
The power is great for normal periods of time (dont push it), it is a little bit noisy (can only be noticed in controlled environments) and overall tonal balance is good, but tone controls produce weird effects. I have found it to be pretty reliable.

Purchased At:   Best Buy