Pioneer VSX 405 A/V Receivers

3.33/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $320.00

Audio/Video Pro-Logic receiver

Submitted by puppeteer666 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
Purchased the Pioneer VSX-405 at a goodwill for $20.
The speaker change A or B has a slight short and requires a little finesse to get both A & B working simultaniously but works just fine using A or B separately.
Was shopping around for a reciever for my outside speakers I use near the pool finding this at $20 was a steal it sounds good pushing the outside speakers and also have a set of floor speakers I use inside to use when were having a get together. Don't like to use my real system unless it's for watching movies.
The VSX has the classic Dolby Pro Logic not to be confused with Dolby Digital 5.1.
The old Dolby was used in theaters back in the 70s and 80's and only uses 4 speakers.
So using for a surround system today is not recommended back in the VCR days sure it kicked butt.
It sounds very crisp even today for playing mp3s or CD's while it's not very powerful it's plenty enough to annoy neighbors.

I'd recommend this product to anyone that can find it at the price I have:)

Submitted by ryan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought this receiver new back in college...sometime in the early 1990s and I have been using it ever since. I've really been happy with it this entire time and it's still working perfectly 10-15+ years later! It's not a super powerful amp, but it's loud enough for my livingroom. With a good set of speakers it responds well. Good frequency response. I wouldn't consider myself a true audiophile, but I am a musician and recognize a good sounding system. I think it was worth the price and more.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by Jay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
Actually the receiver I have is the vsx-403. I bought it in 1995 because it was the most affordable a/v receiver I cound find. I wish I'd waited longer and looked farther. It's rated at a continuous 65 wpc which I believe is accurate. It has no trouble driving inefficient speakers and passive sub. I'm impressed with its flawless reliability but honestly the only thing about it that's better than the old Marantzes is the fact that it has a remote contol. Too bad resale value is so low, I've seen these and similar models on ebay for $20-$40. Next time I'll save longer and buy another Marantz, NAD, Rotel or even Sherwood Newcastle.

Purchased At:   Camera World

Submitted by Markus Hytönen a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2001

Bottom Line:
I came up with the same occurence that Bryan R the right chanel has lost its power. In my case that happens only in some inputs so the amplifer part is still OK. I gave the amplifer to friend of mine and he looked it and chanced some components and fixed some solderings. I don't know if it is going to work until I test it at home after work.

Overall I can say that it is oldfashioned nowdays what comes to home theatre but works fine in stereo if it happens to work at all.

Submitted by Jan a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I must say that this receiver was a great buy. I bought it late 1996 and it has been going strong ever since. It's really no good compared to the receivers availible today, but I must say that I'm very pleased with the buy.

It's not my primary receiver today, but it does a great job when hooked up to a computer or a playstation.

If i weight in all the aspects of pricetag, durability, and comparisons between other similar products back then I must give it a quite good raing...