Pioneer VSX-39TX A/V Receivers

4.7/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $2500.00

THX-Ultra Certified Surround EX (dts-es Compatible) Dolby Digital & DTS Decoding Dual 24-bit DSP

Submitted by John a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2016

Bottom Line:
Items age is definitely showing now. These units have sound dropouts as the solder fails on them after 20 years. If you buy one, be ready to repair the output transistors as the often fail as these units get older and older. Not bad sound if you get one all fixed up.

Submitted by Dai Lim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a receiver which was modified from the VSX-29TX.
This unit resolved the known defect (faulty circuit board) from
VSX-29TX and also added new features like THX Surround EX,
component video switching, Dual 24-bit DSP, 5 & 7 Channel Stereo,
5.1 & 7.1 Acoustical Environment DSP etc.
Sound quality is warm. 5 & 7 Channel Stereo is very beneficial when
I watch regular broadcasting channels. Not to mention its power and
detail from DTS processing.
Copper Shielded Chassis, Rosewood Side Panels, gold plated in&out
puts and a LCD remote make this unit an exceptional receiver..

Submitted by Alan Uke a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
Good, smooth sound. I have a THX system with JBL Synthesis Speakers. The sound is clear, never harsh, and will play LOUD.

Submitted by Barry Gamble a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
Installation went smoothly. I only used the Pioneer remote for setup since I love the MX-500 Home Theater Master Remote. I love a remote that I can operate in the dark with my eyes shut. Give me buttons over a touch screen any day. Plus you have to push too hard on their touch screen plus its light is too dim plus its ackward shape. Yuk. Fortunately once set up is over you never need its remote again.

The unit could use two more Audio inputs on the rear panel. Like were do I hook up my DMX and my Powerbook computers audio outputs. If I had a CD player separately from my DVD I could be up the proverbial creek. All my video/audio inputs are used.

I goofed during my hook up and accidentally pulled one of the wires out of my center speaker. Talk about getting a strange set of symptoms. All of sudden "Standard" surround doesn't seem to be working, very low volume and broken up sound, but of course stereo works. When you unplug any audio channel (left or right) then the other channel starts working. My engineers brain said all the in phase center channel information is gone, but why, it was working 5 minutes ago. Just slid that audio rack on wheels in and out one too many times. :-)

I have found reasonable work-arounds for the weaknesses mentioned above. Love the sound fields, the THX accuracy and the solid feel of the sound through my Audio Legacy speakers. My 8-year-old, top-of -the -line, pioneer that this replaces, always felt unrefined. This unit is refined.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
I really have enjoyed my 39TX, however, I must be becoming an audiophile becasue lately I have found the sound a little muddy, especially in stereo mode. I want a strong, airy open sound stage and have decided to move up to the B&K AVR 307 which sounds awesome. The 39TX is a great unit but it has left me wanting more. For the price, it is a great movie machine but underperforms with stereo sources.

Purchased At:   Rock Dreams, Hamilton, NJ