Pioneer VSX-35TX A/V Receivers

4.3/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $1100.00

THX select receiver

Submitted by vetrano a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2010

Bottom Line:
Had ther receiver for over 8 years. Was a great receiver, did everything I wanted it to. Upgraded this year to a new Pioneer Elite (SC-25).

Submitted by javry a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
When reviewing a component, I always try to compare the product with others in the same category. Obviuosly, this unit won't even come close to a Theta Casa, and MC-1, or one of the Krell products. But then, given the price...my guess is it's not supposed to. So....with keeping that in mind, I find the unit to be of good build quality, capable of doing what it's supposed to do. All functions seem to work extremely well and the sound is reasonably good....again...given the units cost and purpose.

I put all my money into 2 channel stuff...with a number of high end components....waiting for the DVD technology to mature a little more before I took the plunge. I used the Pioneer for DVDs and HT only. I'm now getting ready to go high end with both 2 channel and HT...so I'll be unloading the Pioneer and my BAT VK-5i for a Meridian 861, Lexicon MC-12, Krell, or Theta HTS. But for the last couple of years, the Pioneer has served me well.

Purchased At:   Now Stereos [Knoxvil

Submitted by Mingte Cheng a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is actually my 2nd review for this reciver. First of all, I get to say something bad~~~~~ my reciver burn off by no reason~ beside that, I am still in love with this toy. I think the 7 stereo surround sound is kind of great; however, it require fine turn after the main system set up. I think it should be my speakers placement since I don' thave too much space to put my 7 speakers. So I recommand who love music as well as movie and willing to use 7 stereo have to check the sound level. otherwise, the sound stage will become very awful~ This is how I set up my system, F & R - 0db, C -2 db, all the surround - 4db. After all, CDs are actually 2 channel only and I don't think the DSP can really fit every single CD. So if I use the sound level as my surrounding set up, the sound satge will fly around, which means suck, because the surround chennal will be too lound. I think the sound of this reciver is really gerat. For DVD-A and SACD play back, the sound is cool, too. Although the frequnce is up to 20k only, which means it can't respond the higher frequnce from SACD and DVD-A. However, not a lot of speaker can respond over 20k, either. And I doubt how many people can hear the frequnce over 18k. So, it is not a big deal.
I actullay can't talk much about its DSP since I only use 7 stereo, DTS, and AC3 only. by the way, I still kind of dislike it's low S/N for analog.
by the way, it is a nice toy~~~

system setup

Display - Mitsubishi WT 46805

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by troy sakuta a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is my first serious receiver and I am still fine tuning all the settings. A month ago I upgraded my speakers to PSB Image series and they really allow the Pioneer to shine. One great feature is the subwoofer crossover settings. Using the "plus" mode allows you to set your front and center to large and sends lower frequencies to both the mains and a sub. Listen to HT is amazing. Details and R/L distinction is fantastic and power is more amble for my room.

Music is a real treat and depending on the type 5 channel stereo is a great feature. Multi-room/multi-source is also a welcome feature as I like to listen to the outdoor speakers while the wife or kids watch TV. Over all I am very pleased with the 35 tx and would recomend it to anyone.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Truman Fancher III a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2001

Bottom Line:
Overall I am throroughly satisfied with this receiver. The cons are very minor and are heavily outweighed by the pros. It's the perfect priced amp for the power and features available and simply blew away the Yamaha AV receiver the salesman was trying to push on me. I like clean clear sound with boomy bass ONLY when boomy bass is warranted. The Yamaha "Natural Sound" AV receiver was boomy no matter what. This is my second "serious" receiver for my home theater and it has transformed it into nothing short of miraculous sounding. I'll easily be able to use this for 10 years or more.

Get one.